Opinions on the D70

walt_coleman

Walt, you should really consider everything that is involved before you commit to a DSLR. The D70 may have appeal because of the 1299.00 kit price, what you have to consider is all the extras that you will have to buy along with it. At the very least, you want 1 extra battery and a memory chip.

Frankly, I consider my D70 to be a 2000 dollar purchase. A large part of the added cost was due to the quality of the images the D70 can produce. That led me into buying a tabloid sized printer because the D70 can produce some excellent 11x17 prints. That is the good news, the D70 is capable of fantastic image quality.

The ISO 200 noise is almost non existent. You may see a trace of noise on screen but it does not show in a print at all. I am happy to say that you can't really see any noise in an 11x17 print until you get over ISO 500. One other thing about the noise, sometimes I like to shoot at a high ISO just to get a bit of noise. For some reason, digital noise looks lousy on screen but reproduces in a print in an appealing manner. It's sort of like a color version of Tri-X film grain, tight crisp and well defined. Nothing like the oatmeal mush grain of the current ISO 400 and higher films.

Something that is both a plus, and a minus, is how the D70 operates. I think the D70 is best described as professional digital with consumer features. This means that if your willing to learn how to use all the various controls of the D70, you will get professional results. It also means that if you want a Point & Shoot camera, you should really look elsewhere. Nikon didn't do a very good job with the consumer oriented P&S modes and it does show. One very common complaint is that the mid tones are dark. Nikon has biased the exposure so that the chance of blown highlights is reduced, the result is mid tones that are about 1/3 stop dark. Another common complaint is the the Auto White Balance does not work that well. This is also true, the D70 uses the 1006 pixel color meter to set the Auto White Balance. Most P&S digitals use the image sensor and a 2mp, or more, image sensor does a much better job with White Balance than a 1006 pixel sensor can. On the D70, the best White Balance is obtained by also using the 6mp image sensor. The problem is that on any DSLR, with a mirror in the way, using the image sensor for White Balance is a distinct seperate operation. What it all means is that, if you put the D70 on Autopilot, you should expect to post process almost every image. Learn how to control the D70 and you will hardly post process at all and the images will have all the quality you could desire.

Another potential problem area is with the AF system built into the D70. Nikon used a system based on a 35mm film camera design. The result is that the AF sensor areas are about 1.5 times larger than they should be. This allows a lot of background detail to bleed into your chosen focus zone and can lead to images that focus on the background instead of your target. It not an insurmountable problem, you just have to be aware of it and learn how to use the AF system on the D70.

Now the really bad news. The viewfinder is lousy, it's tiny and a bit dark. Actually most DSLR cameras feature a poor viewfinder. The best viewfinder that I know of on a DSLR is on the 8000 dollar full frame Canon. It is rated at a magnification of 0.70x, a rather mediocre spec. for a 35mm film camera but it's the best you can get on a digital. The problem is that the camera makers are still trying to use old 35mm film based designs for an APS, or smaller, format camera. The result is viewfinders with rather low magnifications. What really irritates me is that the makers are intentionally hiding the true magnification by using a lens that is only appropriate for a full 35mm frame. Nikon uses a 50mm lens to specify the viewfinder magnification on the DX format DSLR's. On the DX format a lens with a 50mm focal length has the Field of View of a 75mm lens. This inflates the magnification by a factor of 1.5x. To give you some examples, the D70 has a specified magnification of 0.70x, in real use it is really 0.49x. The D2x and D2h have a specification of 0.86x, in real use it is only 0.60x. Consider this a "word to the wise", unless the viewfinder magnification is specified using a lens with a 50mm FOV, divide that specification by the lens multiple. If the maker doesn't state what lens was used for the specification, play it safe and divide by the lens multiple. Olympus is stating a viewfinder magnification of 0.95x for their new DSLR, which sounds very good until you remember that this camera has a 2:1 lens multiple.

Now, am I happy with the D70, YES. The image quality from this camera is fantastic. Compared to the current crop of ISO 400 35mm negative films, well there is no comparison, the D70 blows me away. It has some issues but I have learned how to deal with them and I am getting great results. My only real gripe with the D70 is with the viewfinder, it's just too darn small. Since it's a problem with any affordable DSLR, I am resigned to it. I just hope that once the MP race dies out, the camera makers will start building cameras with better viewfinders.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever bought a piece of equipment that was no good but all the "reviews" says it is ok? It's kind of like The Emperor Has No Clothes! Entry level D70 for "only" $1000USD! Add a lens;add a Flash ( your old expensive Nikon flash will not work! The new flash is also expensive! Peer through the viewfinder & hope that the image is in focus! Never mind you dont have to buy film! So "point & shoot" your sure to get some good photos;BY CHANCE.Photography is supposed to be an art form not a craps shoot.There is NO reason for the poor viewfinders.

I use it and am quite happy with it. It has already paid for itself a few times over. Image quality is fantastic. Handling is great. Auto focus is no problem for me. The viewfinder is more than adequate but can definitely be improved.

<p>

I'd buy it again.

<p>

I don't want to spend more for a digital SLR at this point in their development.

I've shot everything from medium format with a waist level or prism finder, to pro

35mm bodies, to large format, to DSLRs going back a few years. I have a D70 in my

bag, and honestly never really was bothered by the viewfinder, and I shoot

predominently action sports. It would be nice if it was bigger, but it's not, so oh well.

I had really never thought about it until I read someones complaint. What sold me was

the flash sync, which I really wanted in a body. That coupled with the availability of a

full-frame fisheye in the Nikon line made it a nice addition to my bag of gear. The

only downside for me was the lack of battery grip which to me is something I like for

ergonomics. The functionality doesn't much matter, and I shoot a large percentage of

verticle shots. It just holds more steady in my hand with a grip, and especially makes

a difference to me when coupled with a flash bracket. So I improvised, and rigged one

for the simple reason of ergonomics. It's made the body much more comfortable for

me to shoot. As far as older flashes, saying you can't use them is innacurate. I shoot

flash for almost every shoot I use the camera for, and haven't purchased a new unit.

Granted The camera always remains in Manual mode, so it doesn't matter at all to me.

The camera has shot magazine spreads, covers, and national ad campaigns and

packaging in the short time I've had it. The bottom line is it works for me. That's all

that matters in a camera as far as I'm concerned. I don't expect what works for me to

work for everyone else of course. Quite frankly, for $1000 for the body, it does a

good job. Just be careful of opinions (mine included) and put your needs in the hot

seat. Hold all the cameras you're considering, and make sure they'll work for you.

That's what matters.

The D70 is not perfect, but no camera is. Well, OK, maybe the Rollei 2.8E Planar....

The viewfinder takes some getting used to, but unless you're blind it won't be a problem. No shuttter lag, and superb ergonomics make the D70 a winner. By all means try before you buy, but the jury and reviews are already in and the D70 is a winner. Don't let a few crabby photonetters disaude you from moving to a true system camera. I use 25 year old lenses on mine all the time. Try that with a SONY digicam or Minolta.

I've got way too many cameras for one guy, but the D70 is in my top drawer and the one I reach for first.

Am I happy with the D70? Definitely.

Could the viewfinder be better? Sure. But having shot with several other Nikons and medium format cameras it is not as bad as some people make out. Don't take mine or any other person's word for it, check it out for yourself.

Could the autofocus be faster? I'm sure it could, but if you add a brighter viewfinder and faster autofocus, as someone pointed out, it probably wouldn't be competitive with the Digital Rebel. And for $100 more, it is a lot more camera.

Since buying the D70 I have had Rolland Elliott add chips to a couple of my lenses, and now all attach and meter with my D70, N80 and FM2s.

The image quality has been great and the ISO 200 hasn't been a problem.

I think that answers all your questions except which to buy, and that one only you can answer.......

>>>>>...What is now missing in Nikon's lineup is a $1500 DSLR

to compete against the 20D, etc<<<<

Hey SHUN!!! You deleted my post about a month ago when I

suggested the exact same freaking thing. I suggest a "midline

model" and you said a new $1500 nikon 20d equal would cut the

d70 sales and therefore idiotic. You also said I was talking

gibberish to myself. Remember that email??? Oh yeah...the D7

looks great!!

I have one and its not the bestlow priced digital out there. Seems like it doesn't focus good. If you look thru the finder at something far away from you, it seems like its blurry. yet the AF seems to be working. Its not back focusing because everything is blurry. not really impressed with it overall, i'll dump it eventually. hopefully nikon has another with all the bugs gone. my N80 functioned better. may be they can do a new firmware rev????

Hello Walt,

My views are similar to Jared's, regarding the viewfinder.

Much will depend on your use for the D70, but i find the viewfinder to be excellent.

I use the d70 on my 500mm lens, along with my Mamiya 645 {with beattie screen} on the same lens, and swap bodies for the different field of view {if needed}. My eyes are old {wear glasses} but it takes me about five seconds to adjust from viewing and manually focusing through the Mamiya, to doing the same through the d70. Hardly a problem in my view!!.

My view is, if someone finds the d70 viewfinder to be poor, then more fool them if they go ahead and purchase it. If they decide not to purchase it, fair enough, but to imply that the majority will have the same opinion to them, if they do purchase the d70, is a bit strange in my view.

I would imagine that users of shorter lenses "may" find the viewfinder less ideal {compared to other viewfinders}, but i personally find it to be excellent for long tele work, and even though my 500mm lens is a manual diaphram, i have yet to struggle hugely with manual focusing with the d70, even when stopped down to F11 {due to the faint freznel type etching on the screen}.

Of course, It is more common to hear complaints than praise about most things {and i have plenty of my own, regarding other camera designs}, but i would suspect the vast majority of d70 owners are very satisfied with it}.

I do think that for its price, the sync capabilities of the d70 are excellent, although maybe only appreciated by owners of medium format/leaf shutter lenses, or those with the need for fill flash/fast moving subjects, but this makes this camera extremely versatile for it price range, and the main reason why i took the plunge into digital.

For me, the d70 is almost the perfect package, even though the meter is disabled, and i have to use a handheld meter {which i have always done anyway}.

A big thumbs up from me.

Alan

Leslie, I don't remember the circumstance why your post was deleted, but it certainly wasn't the result of the opinion expressed. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, regardless of how weird it may be. If stupid opinioins weren't allowed in this forum, a lot of this current thread should have been deleted.

The diopter of the D70's viewfinder is adjustable as a sliding switch to its right. My D100 works the same way, just like the N80. It is fairly easy to accidentally change the setting and your viewfinder image would look blury. Make sure you adjust that. Moreover, if you remove the battery from these cameras, the viewfinder image will look very dim and blury. It needs the battery to operate.

Not to second guess WHY Leslie's post was deleted, I did not think it was fair. It was way too fast (within 3-40 minutes or so). As to any "stupid"posts, I do not think there are any. All the tool/gear companies do make a healthy profit and we the users/customers may be putting each other down which bodes well with N and C and their profits.

Vivek.

Shun, I bought the D70 because it was the first DSLR by Nikon which gives acceptable image quality to me. That's it. It gives better images than the D1X and D2H. Also, the D1X is massive, has a small viewfinder (although it's prism-based and has a good focusing screen) and has a short battery life compared with the D70. I don't want to carry a bunch of batteries to go through the day. The D2H is 4 MP and as I said, it's not the camera for me although it might have been a better investment.

I also bought the D70 because it was inexpensive and as such it presents no significant loss to me even though I'm not happy with it (I've already saved its price in film and processing and results from still subjects are superb). The only problem is that it is painful to use it because I have to spend minutes focusing on plants and shooting dozens of pics to be sure that at least one shot in the right light is in focus. I am not complaining that the quality of the camera is bad for the price. It's actually superb value. But the problem is that Nikon has no DSLR model which has equal or superior image quality to the D70 and a decent viewfinder/focusing system. The D2X will be that when it hits the market, but there should be a good intermediate model.

Yes, teles can be fairly easily focused with it, the problem is mostly with fast normal and wide lenses. Notice that I bought Nikon precisely because they make the best viewfinders available in film SLRs. That was why I have stuck with the brand, I had no idea that they would start making some of the worst viewfinders in the DSLR era. I knew that their AF system is poor but manual focus was always my preference. With digital, manual focus is no longer a real option at least for me. It's striking how big the quality difference in pics of people is between the D70 and F100. With the former, I can get ten or twenty pictures in a row, none of which are *really* in focus. With the F100, I can shoot rolls of film before the first out-of-focus picture appears, and usually it is because I tried to do something rediculous such as take a pic of a person moving rapidly across the room in available light.

You might think I am wasting bandwidth saying this so many times. I just feel I'm a fool to buy the D2X only to get a D70 with a prism, no LCD in the focusing screen, and a useful AF module. Then when eventually in 20 years Nikon starts putting out VR primes like 50/1.4 VR etc. then I buy them instead of getting the Minolta in the first place. While Nikon makes good lenses, they charge double or triple for the bodies. Minolta makes good bodies and in the case of digital bodies it might actually make all the difference.

Thanks for the feedback! You've all given me quite a bit to consider. Overall, sounds like the image quailty is solid and while it's not the perfect camera, for its price, the D70 is a good buy for a "hobbyist" just getting into DSLR's.

I currently use a Maxxum 7 film, with a single Tamron 28-300 lens. I'm no pro. I just enjoy shooting on vacations and weekend getaways. Sounds like the D70 will meet my needs, but I definitely plan to hold off a while, wait for the reviews of the Maxxum D7, then get some hands on time with both systems.

Thanks again!

Walt, if all you have is one Tamron lens, by all means move on to Canon or Nikon. My first SLR was actually a Minolta, but they gave up on the higher end a long time ago by not keeping up with the competition. The fact that they are almost 3 years late to introduce a consumer-grade DSLR is very telling. Nikon introduced the D1 5 years ago. I wonder what Minolta has been doing all these years.

I suggest you find a D70, perhaps at your local camera store, and check out its viewfinder yourself. Only you can decide whether that is ok or not.

<em>"As conspiracy theories go this is a good one. How

else can you explain the toy camera quality of low end Nikon

finders?" --David H. Hartman.<br>

<br>

"Ilkka and David, stop this conspiracy theory nonsense."

--Shun Cheung<br>

</em><br>

Shun this is something of a joke poked at Ilkkas use of the

word conspiracy but...<br>

<br>

<em>"It's standard marketing practice to handicap low-end

products to sell high-end products." --Ilkka Nissila<br>

</em><br>

Ilkka is correct to note this as a standard marketing practice.

Also part of what hobbles the D70 is advertising (part of

marketing) and the importance of a good feature list to

uninformed buyers. The LCD that gives the "On demand grid

lines" degrades the finder image. The built in flash is

under powered and takes space and adds costs that could better be

used for Nikon FM3a quality finder optics and focus screen. The

diopter correction built into the N80 and D70 is too limited and

its uncoated optics adds flare and ghost to the finder image. The

peripheral focus areas of the multi-CAM900 focus modules are by

many not useful and their spread over the D70 finder clearly

shows they were designed for 35mm film cameras not APS-C DSLR(s).

The focus spots are too fat for the APS-C format. The D70s

finder sucks and the D70s AF sucks. These finders may be

adequate for snapshots and landscape photography but not much

else.<br>

<br>

Nikon engineers know how to make good finders but other forces

are putting Form before Function. Nikons current low end

cameras including the D70 have the worst viewfinders Nikon has

ever made. Compare the N80 finder to any Nikkormat, FM/FE family

camera or EM/FG family camera. The D70 is then further hobbled

with the 1.5x crop factor.<br>

<br>

Eric Friedemann is correct in blasting Nikon for its poor

DSLR line up. Although the D2X is announced its still not

here and it looks to be rather expensive for many. Nikons

only viable professional DSLR at this time is the D2H and its

a pressmans or womans camera. This means the best

Nikon professional DSLR is a 4.1MP camera! The D1X at 3,899.00

with a $500.00 rebate is not viable. Its should come a much

more substantial instant rebate to get them out of inventory. Its

road kill!<br>

<br>

Forgive me Shun but you are too protective of Nikon. Ive

been amazed that you will blast their repair prices. Thats

a start but like IBM, Nikon has not accepted that they are in a

world market selling commodities like sugar and soybeans (more

like VCR(s)). IBM lost the PC market that they created even

though they have vast manufacturing capabilities. This was done

by management not engineers. Nikon has been killing their small

and medium franchised dealers, screwing customers with 19th and

20th Century marking and trying to create monopolies in countries

that do not give them such. The World Wide Web has created a

World Wide Market and they are fight this and loosing, loosing

customers, loosing market share, loosing stature. This is not the

fault of the Nikon optical engineers. This is the fault of the

MBA(s).<br>

<br>

Its unpopular be honest but I see nothing wrong with

informing buyers. The photo magazines wont and cant

do it. They are held hostage buy adverting as a source of income.<br>

<br>

The high water mark for Nikon finders is the Nikon F3. My

favorite is the F3 with DE-2 released in 1980 but in 1982

photographers got a choice with the introduction of the F3HP and

DE-3. The F3 with DE-2 exceeds the F5 and the F3HP with DE-3

equals it while giving the highest eye-point for eyeglass wearers

and others who prefer very high eye-point. The F4s may equal the

F5, I dont have one to test. The specs and illustrations of

the F6 indicate that it may be a good compromise between the F3

and F3HP. Lets hope the finder pleases most eyeglass wearers.

Look at the cut-away views of the F6 and D2H. The F6 has a

condenser the D2H doesnt. Why? Because Nikon engineers are

stupid? ...or did the MBA(s) win this one? How much does a

condenser cost?<br>

<br>

Car enthusiast would howl if BMW put its logo on a Chevy

Geo quality sub-compact commuter. Canon has done this for years

and I think Nikon once felt forced to do the same. I dont

think they feel that way anymore, they just do it for the cash.<br>

<br>

Nikon is in decline. They need to get a clue about customer

service. They need to accept the reality of a world wide market.

They need all the buyers they can get including those with large

collections of manual focus lens like me and the serious but less

well heeled buyers many of whom buy the D70 because there is no

photographers mid-priced DSLR. The D2X is late, the F6 had

better lead to a full frame Nikon DLSR. Making excuses for the D70

doesnt help those who are waiting and those who bought but

are dissatisfied. <br>

<br>

Ilkka Nissila and others who bought the D70 and are telling the

truth are doing a service to buyer who put greater demands on

their cameras. If this gets Nikon off its ass and forces

them to make DSLR(s) with better finders it will be a service not

only to photographers but to Nikon also. Im very sure the

Nikon optical engineers will not mind making photographers

cameras again. Nikon needs two new DSLR(s) and fast: a mid-priced

photographers DSLR and a full frame DSLR for those with

little money to lust after.<br>

<br>

With all good intent even if my writing sucks,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

If you have a KM 7, there shouldn't be much of a learning curve w/ the 7D.

My best friend has a Minolta 7 and she is really looking forward to seeing a 7D in person. My husband has a N80 and really wants the D70 ... mostly for me to use instead of my N90s because he's having fits about how much film/ processing I go thru.

Me? I'm happy with my N90s and i'm just waiting till there'd a dslr that I like as much as I like my N90s.

>>>>That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've read on

PN in quite some time. But, thanks, I needed a good laugh

today.<<<<

I don't think you have use enough cameras else you would

realize how much the d70 viewfinder suck or perhaps you just

like looking through a small dark tunnel I guess. Tryout a lowly

$200 bessa r and you'll get my drift.

Jim, I have 20/20 uncorrected vision in my shooting eye and I have great night vision. Still, the viewfinders on D70s and D100s are virtually unuseable in low light.

The finders are quite dim on their respective 35mm SLR bodies. When the image is then reduced in size by one third in the D70 and D100 finders to compensate for frame size, you are left with a small, dark image.

With even an f/2.8 lenses on my D100s, in normal room light, I simply cannot critically judge whether an image is in focus and have to rely on the accuracy of the camera's autofocus. And I'll note that AF accuracy on D70s and D100s is underwhelming.

I had bought a pair of D100s to shoot events, but the finder/focus problems on the cameras is bad enough that I wind up shooting Mamiya 7IIs and scanning if I have to shoot for $$$ in a dim, indoor setting. I would note that I am usually able to see if I have acheived correct focus with 28mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 lenses on the D100s- but these are not my favorite lenses for flash shooting at f/5.6-8.0.

I agree that the D70 is distinguished by a very good feature set, but is hobbled by the lack of an acceptable viewfinder (try following someones expressions through the finder in a waist length portrait), and iffy AF. The D100 viewfinder is marginally better but otherwise the camera shares the same faults. The on-demand gridlines are better replaced by etched gridlines. The LCD seriously robs the viewfinder of brightness. So close, and yet so far. The D70 could have been a giant killer of a 6MP camera with decent autofocus and a good finder.

Ok, I was literally holding my F5 with the 28-70mm/f2.8 in one hand and my D100 with the 17-55 DX in the other. The sun hasn't risen so that it is still pretty dark in our home office. I looked through both vinewfinders and I simply cannot understand what this fuss is all about. The F5 is certainly better but I am perfectly happy with the D100. By early 2004, the D100 was already two years old and I didn't read one complaint about its viewfinder until all these penta-prism vs. penta-mirror stuff on the D70 was debated when the D70 was introduced.

The fact of the matter is that opinions on the D70's viewfinder vary. As I pointed out before, for those who are in the market for one, try it before you buy it. To me, the D70's slow AF and small image buffer are far bigger problems. But if you don't shoot action, those may be non-issues.