Highly Irritated at Nikon Capture Purchase Claim

I used the Nikon Capture trial, that says you can call the 800

number and "purchase a valid Product key, so that the code will be

issued immediately."

Well, I used the software for the trial period and when it expired,

I called the number. Was given another number, which was to

NikonMall. They were willing to take my credit card, but said they

don't issue product keys, they only ship the package. AND, the

product is backorderd and they have no ETA...

That highly irritates me. Very, very deceptive.

Steve

Here's another example of Nikon's deception, or, at the very least, their lack of helpfulness:

Bought new D70. Tried to use it with Photoshop CS. Could not get Neff files to work with PS CS Camera Raw. Called Nikon.

They listened patiently and were totally unable to shed any light on this problem...why their new D70 would not work with my latest version of Photoshop CS. They told me I had to buy their Capture (4.1 is it?) software so I could work with and edit their Neff files.

I had my doubts about this, so I posted here, posed my problem and asked several questions. I was advised by several helpful posters that I needed to go to Adobe.com and download the Camera Raw 2.2 update for the D70 (for free) so I could edit D70 Neff files with PS CS. Problem solved, and I posted my results on this site (Digital camera site on Photo.net).

Apparently Nikon.USA was either so incompetent and ignorant that they could not be bothered to advise and instruct their telephone reps how to solve this most basic issue--think how many people had just purchased the D70 and were using Photoshop CS--or they were/are so greedy that they just wanted to sell me their $100. Capture 4.1 Neff/Raw editor.

It's a good thing we have siters like these to trade experiences and exchange helpful advice.

If you wish to rock Nikon's boat, contact your state's attorney general's office. File a written complaint that you, as a consumer, cannot get satisfaction from a company doing business in your state. If you followed the rules and tried to purchase something that does not exist, maybe Nikon would like to re-purchase your D-70 body?

Well, I'm not looking to sue somebody, I just want them to honor their claim. When I called Nikon (which turned out to be Nikon Mall), the guy said he had had a lot of complaints about this. He asked if I wanted to speak to a supervisor, which I did. The supervisor said she had had a lot of complaints about it, too. I said, it is clearly stated and it sounded like they could be the target of a class-action lawsuit and she said "I know". (I wasn't saying I was going to sue them, just that this was a pretty black-and-white falsehood.) She said she understood and didn't know why they put that in the software.

It's not like it's a life and death situation, but it really puts me in a bind.

Steve

Sergio,<br><br>

As much as i would seem logical, Nikon does not produce Photoshop and their staff

doesn't necessarily keep up with Adobe Systems releases. Adobe Systems is responsible

for Photoshop's support of camera specific RAW formats, you should have contacted them

instead of Nikon. It is natural that Nikon wants you to purchase their products, after all.

<br><br>

As to the keys and Nikon Capture trial package, well, sometimes the instructions and info

written to websites changes between that point of publication and actual procedures.

Having worked for a large software/hardware manufacturer, it's a common enough slip up

and is totally unintential. The inconvenience is real, I know, but rememer that people are

only human.

<br><br>

Godfrey

Steve - Sorry to hear about your problem. My experience in purchasing Nikon capture was

the exact opposite of yours. I was immediately given a code on the phone, an email arrived

a few minutes later with the code, and finally a boxed version arrived a few days later. I am

pretty sure I called Nikon tech support though and not Nikon Mall. (The confirmation email

from Nikon actually came from tech support and has a case number.) Might be worth

giving Nikon Tech support a call. They are even open 24 hours for digital support.

I had the same problem, Steve. I waited until the day after the trial expired. The Nikon Mall rep didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for a product key. They only ship a physical product and wanted another $8 postage.

The solution was to go down to the local camera store and buy it for $94. Near instant gratification and I saved money. [i understand that's not an option for everybody, but I prefer to support my local retailer anyhow--Pro Photo Supply in Portland, Oregon.]

That said, Capture is an excellent product. I much prefer it over Adobe Camera RAW. Besides better control over adjustments and better color, I find it much easier to batch RAW images through Capture.