Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 Software Trouble

Hi,

I've bought a Minolta 5400 and I like it very much. HOWEVER, the

software (Dimage Scan Utility) is a pain. It freezes on a regular

basis, and scanning more than one or two slides can be a matter of hours.

Are there any known problems with this software?

I am running it on Windows XP, 1 GB RAM, and an Athlon XP 1800+.

I have already installed the latest version from Minolta's homepage,

but things haven't got better.

What about exchanging it for Silverscan or VueScan?

Thanks for any response.

U.

You might want to check out your PC first Ulrich before spending money on different software, although there is a free download of VueScan you can try.

You dont say how you have connected the 5400 to your PC, if it is through USB2 then, check you do not have any other devices connected to the same USB hub (ie the second USB connector of the pair) as the 5400, not even a mouse or keyboard, see if that improves stability and speed. Also try the 1394/firewire connection.

I would also say that your processor is a little on the slow side, when using ICE you should be doing a scan in 6 to 12 minutes depending on the density. Compare the speed with and without ICE (keeping grain dissolver turned on), a lot of the difference is your CPU.

Hello.

I don't the problem is lack of computer power. I use my Minolta 5400 in a Pentium III at 600 MHz with 384 Mb RAM (which is rather tight), and I don't experience those problems (it only gets awfully slow when scanning at 5400 dpi).

Try the connextion USB2.0 or Firewire. That also gave me some headache when I installed my scanner (for some reason the Firewire doesn't work fine)

Arturo

Ulrich - the Minolta software driver for the 5400 is a pain! It is not custom written for the 5400, but is the same driver and software written for all of the Minolta scanners, just with a few tweaks to make it work with the 5400. It is "irritable" and very memory / page file sensitive. Get VueScan if you can.

I'm sure it is not -only- the Minolta software that is at fault:<br> I also have the Minolta Elite 5400 attached via USB2.0 to my computer running under Windows XP Sp1 and using the Minolta scanning software (version 1.1.5), and I don't recall that it ever crashed.

It is more likely a certain combination of hardware and/or software and/or drivers that causes the problems.<br>

And I also get quite good scanning results with the Minolta software (mainly scanning slides).

Thank you all for your responses. As long as I do not bother the computer with other programs that demand a lot of RAM, the Minolta software now works. However, I noticed that when I leave the computer doing the scanning, and it switches to power-saving mode, the Minolta software aborts the scanning process.<br>

So, Graham seems to be on the right track when he says the software is "irritable." It is. And it is irritating, too. At least for someone who has used the Nikon and Agfa softwares for years without problems.<br>

• 1 month later...

I have almost exactly the same problems.

Turning of all power saving was a big help but problem persists.

Would be interested in any similar problems solutions or hardware configurations that may narrow down the problem.

Intel 875 P4 3g Hyperthreading ON. (tested with OFF) .

Gigabyte MBoard .

Radeon graphics .

2g RAM .

Win XP SP2 (had same problems with SP1).

RAID 0 2 SATA HD array .

Firewire or USB nil difference.

Norton AV.