Going to Williamsburg, VA. Any recommendations?

ryanjoseph

Hi guys,

I am traveling to Williamsburg, VA for a few days. I know it?s an old

town, but that?s about as much as I know about it. Can anybody

recommend to me any good spots for photography? I am staying a couple

of blocks away from Colonial Williamsburg if that helps anybody. I am

interested in all kinds of photography except street shooting, so I

don?t really care about good street shooting spots.Thanks for any

recommendations.

How does this sound?<p>

<i> At Williamsburg you?re able to view the beauty and wonders of Americans past. Colonial Williamsburg features original buildings with unique artifacts still displayed. The entire town is a living museum complete with educational tours, historical reenactments and demonstrations. Colonial area offers over 90 acres of gardens, 88 original structures, 40 exhibit buildings and many quaint inns and taverns, inviting the visitor to experience life much as it was 300 years ago.

In addition to taking in the best of the old world you can find new and exciting big name theme parks, challenging golf courses, water parks and first class shopping and dining.

Anytime of the year is a great time to visit Williamsburg. From the spring tulips

to the summer crepe myrtle trees, Williamsburg's seasonal changes are

photographed avidly by visitors from around the world. Fall brings its own rewards, as Williamsburg's spectacular trees flaunt their blazing colors. Winter is not without an occasional dusting of snow, but with a brilliant clear blue sky, the colonial architecture is brought to life. Bring your camera to the birthplace of our nation, Williamsburg, Virginia.</i>

<a href="http://www.historicwilliamsburgusa.com/index.cfm?mrksrc=0512237&phone=1-877-817-7624&overture=colonial_williamsburg"<a/>Click Here

Colonial Williamsburg is open 24 hours a day, so you can come early or stay late to avoid the crowds of tourists. The buildings are open only during business hours, which extends into the night for the restaurants there. During the day, there are hundreds of docents and reenactors who play their parts well. There are parades and demonstrations (drills, firearms, etc) at various times. If you're close enough to walk, that's best. Otherwise, you can park around the edges if you get there early enough. You only need tickets ($$$) to enter some buildings. You should see the Parliament building, the Governor's Mansion and old church (I forget the name).

It's post Labor Day so I'd expect the biggest parts of the crowds will be gone. My mother was just back there and she reported that in comparison to years past - the buildings are much less well furnished, etc., due apparently to the reductions in staff. However, I'd think the external views and atmosphere would still be well worth the time spent wandering around. It's not a huge area so it's easy to get around, find good angles for sunsets, etc. Besides the street front areas, there are a number of gardens and open areas worth exploring

I have no particular recommendation about photograhy, sorry. But if you're looking for a hotel take a look at the Williamsburg Inn. Too expensive for me but if you can afford to stay there you shouldn't be disappointed. Otherwise it must be possible to drink a glass of the local ginger ale to enjoy the place.

Any spot along the main street in town is good, but get off the main street and look around the side streets. There's lots of opportunities if you just look around. And don't miss some of the recreations, like the trials, concerts, etc. All well done. Just plan on walking a bit.

I visited Jamestown, and while it's not as picturesque as Williamsburg, it's worth a trip. About a 20 minute drive, IIRC.

We go several times a year. Take a lens that will enable you to take closer details of architectural features. Low light can be interesting in the taverns, but street scenes can be blown out by the (very few) electric street lights. On the weekend, Bruton Parish church has a free candle lit concert Saturday night, and the Wren Chapel on the W&M campus has a free organ recital Sat mornings. Don't use flash. Travel light. Stick a bottle of water in your pocker before entering the old city. Lunch at the taverns is cheaper than dinners, and the lighting from the windows mightbe more interesting. Evening events can be most interesting that events and tours during the day.

You should stop by Pierce's Pit Cooked BBQ, which is on the frontage road that runs along the interstate - between which two exits I can't quite remember (going west, I think it is between the second and third Williamsburg exits - rt. 143? and then west on the frontage road?) This place is a fixture, so anyone in Williamsburg can tell you where to go. Photos to be had. Used to be just a smokehouse with a window. People would park on the highway and climb over barriers to get to it from the other side. Now it is bigger and cleaner, but the food is still good. This is pork BBQ mind you. Real suh-thun food.

Pick a spot, point the camera, and start shooting. One of the most fun picture-taking opportunities I've ever had.

The Governor's Mansion is awesome. The entry is loaded with guns very decoratively displayed -- the whole idea was to scream "Don't Mess with Us!" to diplomats, etc., who were there on business, besides functioning as an armory. Great architectural features all over the place. I didn't make it to Yorktown, but Jamestown was a great visit, especially if you like sailing ships. The chapel at William and Mary is very nice, especially the organ. When at the Gov. Mansion, the allow pictures everywhere but on the stairways (too many people have forgotten where they were and took a tumble). Fortunately, I got plenty of architectural detail shots before they told me that!

I got some pretty good photos of the fife-and-drum corps, but hope to do better next time.

I was there only once for too short of a trip, and plan to go back for a more extended stay. My wife and I really loved it.

If you happen to be driving through Baltimore to get there, I highly recommend a stop at Ft. McHenry.