50mm Summicron vs. Canon LTM f1.4

With my M6 I don't get much use out of my 50mm 'Cron (the sweet one

with the thumb tab focus), preferring 21mm ASPH, 35mm pre-ASPH and

90mm Elmarit lenses. I'm not preared to abandon completely the 50mm

focal length, so I'm wondering about Canon 50mm in LTM, especially

the f1.4. I could save a few bucks with the Canon (well save toward

a second Leica M body), and gain an extra stop as well.

Gary, I have the Canon 50/1.4 and the Summilux 50 (made in 1970, which ever version that makes it). I have made some comparison shots between them at f1.4, 2, 2.8, and 4. The results surprised me: while they were more or less equal at 2, 2,8, and 4, the Canon was decidedly sharper at f1.4. I didn't test for bokeh or tonal range or ability to bring details out of the shadows, which the Summilux is supposed to be able to do, but just sharpness. I made 6x9 prints and then examined them with my 10x loupe for the comparison. So, does that help you decide? I don't know. The Summicron is supposed to be the sharpest lens there is, so presumably it will be sharper than either of my f1.4 lenses. Bob

I have a c.1956 "Rigid" Summicron, not the more modern 1 you have, but I do have the Canon 50/1.4 in LTM/Canon RF. The Canon is a very good lens for its time, a great bargain, & well worth owning; it doesn't have quite the build-quality as its Leitz or Zeiss contemporaries, but the performance is certainly comparable, if not superior (I haven't had the opportunity to do a comparison w/the early '60's Summilux like Robert Meier). However, if you really don't need/want the extra stop & want to stick w/Leitz glass, you can get a nice Summicron like mine for about the same price as the Canon.

I have used both, and if I was forced to choose, then the Summicron is the one to keep. It is smaller, focuses closer (0.7 versus 1.0 meters), and the "look" is much smoother.

I currently have the Canon 1.4, which is a really nice lens. It is sharp as a tack, but for me the biggest problem is the lack of close focus ability. If you want to do a trade, I would be open to the idea. Mine comes with the M adapter.

I think the Canon is a really good deal, I picked mine up here in Tokyo for around $130, in perfect condition, the glass is flawless. I don't think you could get a Leica 1.4 anything in that shape for even close to the price. So if you don't care about the close focus, and you want the extra speed, I would highly recommend it.

Personally though, the 50mm summicron is my favorite lens of all.

I don't think so, Aizan, @ least not in the U.S. I picked up my Rigid (excellent, but not mint condition) for less than $300 off eBay, which is approx. what the Canon 50/1.4 in similar condition fetches on the 'Bay. However, if you're talking about a comparison w/the prices for Canon lenses in Japan, per Claude's post, then you may be correct.

---------------------

"Isn't the Rigid Summicron about two to three times as much as the Canon?"

Suddenly I'm deeply attached to my Canon 50/1.4, as just yesterday I

got back lovely results from it used wide open. Mine too cost me a lot

less than a Summianything (under 180 euros), plus it screws into my LTM

bodies. But do remember that although it's not particularly heavy it's a

fairly fat lens; it might gobble an irritating chunk from your viewfinder.

The Canon 50/1.8 is no slouch, and quite a bit more compact.