AE II Prism Finder problem

jarrydbekker

I have a Bronica AEII prism that doesn't seem to be metering

properly. I have swiched it onto 'A' and when i push the shutter

release in a little it displayes '4'. When i adjust the aperture or

shutter speed, the reading remains at 4. The battery is new btw.

Why doesn't it meter?

Regards

Jarryd

AE Prism`s, only read out shutter speed ,not aperture, the `4` you refer to is either 4 seconds or 1/4 ,a seconds `"`indication follows the number, whatever speed you have chosen is overridden by the prism. It does appear that you have a problem , check all contacts

• 2 weeks later...

Jarryd,

If you're lucky, it might be the contacts, so clean them and remount the finder. If you're unlucky, the circuit board on the finder is stuffed. Might be worth taking it to a technician - even for the clean. That way, they'll be able to tell you the good or bad news. If the circuit board is the problem best advice is probably to cruise ebay! Funny beasts old Bronicas - I have an AEII which works some days and not others, for example.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if you've solved your problem, and this may help the guy who said his works sometimes and sometimes not.

My AE11 on my ETR needs to be firmly pushed toward the rear of the camera to make sure the contacts mate correctly. I think this is due to wear on both the body and finder, as they both have had a lot of use, although still work pretty well.

Steve

• 2 months later...
Your ETR Prism is giving you a shutter speed to go with your selected film speed and aperture. My ETR Prism sometimes gives unrepeatable results, on manual, one reading after another gives different readings or else gives readings running up and down the scale. I removed the prism and cleaned the rows of mating contact pins to the front of the prism, especially on the ETR body, but also on the prism. I used a disposable alcohol swab of the type used in medicine to clean an injection site. You might even try a soft toothbrush on the BODY pins GENTLY. Mop up excess alcohol with a kleenex, make sure the prism is clean and dry, remount it and try again.