Lens-advice for S3?

r_e

I am very interested in the coming S3. Released in August - that

means since 11 days? We know how it works, but its the oppportunity

to ask a question. The chip will have the same size as that one of

the S2. Who does have experience with special lenses for Digicams -

I am impressed by the Tamrons, but thats a feeling, ... no idea.

But when later the cams will get larger chips - only a question of

time, I think, wouldn't it be better to own the "normal" lenses then?

I have no single lens for SLR yet. What to do in this "starting at

zero" situation with all possibilities and all opportunities to make

a lot of mistakes...?

Thank you, RE

Well, Nikon has been successful in selling lenses with reduced coverage, i.e. they'll need to have solutions for the owners of those lenses (cameras with small sensors, with big sensors in which you can select the center part only, 1.5x teleconverters that widen the field). On the Nikon side buying a reduced-coverage lens sounds reasonably safe.

You'll quickly figure out that the issue of coverage is pretty much only relevant for really short focal lengths (shorter than 24mm). For anything longer than that there's no really fundamental reason to aim for a reduced coverage.

If you buy a DSLR, you may what to have a small/light film body that can use the same lenses - as a backup, or for the ability to access wider angles or special films.

As an example, you can get a 18-35, 28-105, N75 and Dual IV scanner for far less than a 12-24 and 18-70, and end up with the ability to shoot film, with the same ultra-wide-angle capabilities for extreme cases (with the negative issue that you'll need to shoot film in thos cases), with a very good wide-angle lens for your DSLR, and with lenses that are future-proof if you later want to use them on a full-frame digital camera. You'll even have change left to get a 35/2 lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to summarize I believe that the current range of Nikon lenses allows to only buy lenses that work on film or large digital sensors and not lose much (if anything) in terms of functionality or money.

You can't go very wrong with Nikon-branded lenses, they typically hold their value reasonably well.

• 1 month later...

My short list for zoom lenses. For landscape, 17-35mm F/2.8; for midrange, Tamron 28-75mm Di; on top of that get a 70-200mm ED F2.8 for birds and pretty faces across street.

Special notes on Tamron 28-75mm, I own one, a great lens that won the lens of the year in Europe when it came out. Not the best perfermer, but I only need a midrange for party shots, so I don't want to pay high price for a 28-70mm F/2.8, which is a killer lens.

Reiner, I also notice you do flowers, so get the new Sigma 105mm DG lens that just came out. Great lens for the price.

Nikkor 17-35mm, is way better than 18-35mm, don't get confused. If you just want to landscape and short range portraiture, get the new 17-55mm DX. Only digital, but better than the acclaimed 17-35mm.

If you want to start something simple, get a 50mm F1/8, 60mm F/2.8 Micro and 85mm F/1.8, I have all these and I love them to death.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Rey, I hear from RE, You have good advices.Hope it is alright to ask.

i just bought NIkon D70 and AF-S Nikkor 18-70, I use that for everything. Architecture, Portraits,Still lif, Partys. Do You think,I need a bigger Variety?I have trouble to Objects real sharp.If YOU have Time for an Advice, I am very Thankful.And I can see on Your Pictures everythings look good. Greetings Alix