Longest lens for Linhof Technikardan 45

The brochure I have on the Technikardan 45 S recommends for "long focus" up to 240 mm and for "tele" up to 500 mm. I suppose that this means that Linhof is recommending true telephoto lenses, meaning lenses which require less extension than their focal length, for focal lengths longer than 240 mm.

This is somewhat puzzeling since I regular use longer non-telephoto lenses on my TK 45S, up to 450 mm. The 450 mm f12.5 Fuji-C works well on the TK 45S and can be focused on objects as close as a few meters. This lens has a flange focal length of 425 mm. This is close to the maximum flange focal length (distance from back of shutter or front of lensboard to image when focused on infinity) that will work with this camera and allow focusing on objects closer than infinity. To focus a longer focal length than 450 mm will require a true telephoto.

Michael - Are you sure the 240mm number you're reading isn't for the 2x3 Technikardan? The Techikardan brochure I have gives specs for the 2x3 and 4x5 in two columns that are right next to each other, it's easy to get them confused. The 4x5 Technikardan has a bellows extension of 20" and it's hard to believe Linhof would say that 240mm was the longest normal lens that could be used on a 4x5 camera with a bellows that long. At 20" (500mm) of extension the 4x5 camera should be able to handle a 420mm normal lens and still focus pretty close. However, the Technikardan I used to have wasn't very stable with the bellows fully extended and the device Linhof sells to improve stability was, IMHO, grossly overpriced.

There was no mistake by me in the values that I quoted from the Linhof Technikardan brochure from the table "recommended lens combinations". For "Long focus", Linhof lists "180/210 mm" for the TK 23S and "210/240 mm" for the TK 45S. I said that the values were puzzeling. Brian, what does the brochure that you have say?

I find the TK45S to work well with the 450 mm Fuji with fully adequate rigidity. While the rigidity isn't as good as a monorail, the TK 45S is definitely more rigid than the Canham DLC, which people also use with the 450 mm Fuji.

Hi Michael - Linhof must have made an error then, obviously you can use a much longer normal lens than 240mm with a 20 inch bellows. My brochure says "Max Bellows Extension 33 cm/13 in., suitable for 360mm tele lenses" for the 2x3 and for the 4x5 says "Max. bellows extension 510mm/20 in." but doesn't give a maximum focal length.