cold weather photography

john_wallace2

What is the best way to protect camera equipment from extreme changes

in temperatures. Condensation occurs on the camera and lens when going

from an outside cold temperature to a heated area such as a car or

house. Should I be worried about the inside of the camera and what

steps can be taken to prevent any damage......

Absolutely condensation can wreck havoc with a camera. The key is to understand that very cold air can hold very little moisture so while the camera's outside it's safe (I'm assuming its not raining). The danger is when bringing it inside where the air can hold conciderable moisture. The cold camera surfaces will cause the inside air to condense on the camera and its innards. The key is to provide a barrier between the cold camera and the room temp air. Take a sealable plastic bag (zip lock) and put the camera in it before going indoors. The condensation will form on the outside of the bag while the camera warms up.

I keep silica gel in my camera bag and when going to a different tempearture, I wait some time (2 hours when coming in from the outside). Peculiarly, I have had condensation between the lens elements when going from inside to outside to an open lake or sea. In fact, it has happened several times.

Be careful about not breating to the ocular or lens surfaces when it's really cold. All these warnings aside, I've never had any actual malfunction because of photography in the cold; just batteries that have run out!!!

do a search under the name santa here and at dpreview. this question comes up

regularly. It's -40F at my house at the moment. I deal with this every day during winter. I

got tired of plastic bags. Now I merely take my camera, remove the CF card before going

inside, take off my jacket and warp the camera in my jacket. It will warm up slowly enough

assuming you have a reasonably warm jacket that can insulate the camera. A big plastic

bag is smart, no doubt, but the key is to have it warm up slowly and a warm jacket works

just fine too.