need recommendation for old Praktica camera

You could try an MTL3 or MTL5, I suppose. Just don't count on getting a working CdS meter on ANY old Praktica. You should be able to find body and lens for $30 or so. But no TTL.

If you want inexpensive and reasonably solid M42 with working TTL metering, you would do better looking at Chinon (CE-4, CM-4) or Cosina SLRs, or even an old Vivitar 220 or 250 or 400 or 450 SL.

I have one praktica among other camera. Obviously it works OK. I like the lens but the camera it has some kind of cheap feeling I don't like. IMO. For a M42 body I would recommend some Mamiya TL or DTL. They're well built but anonymous enough compared to Pentax to have nice price.

Also try Yashicas, Tl-Electro X especially if you can find a nice sample

But in M42's nothing beats the feel of spotmatic. It is also the most practical one IMO.

I have not tried the Fujicas but heard very good things about them. They should be cheaper than spotmatics I think.

I bought a MTL50 a while back- looks like it was never used-

1-500- the meter works(these were the last ones made) feels a little tinny- but for $30,I'm not complaining.

I've noticed the prices of many of the M42 cameras is climbing lately.I think the best value right now is the Chinon.

The Praktica M42 cameras were not the best, I think they got better after they brought in the bayonet mount. I would agree with those who voted for Chinon. It's not one of the classic brands but the old Chinon M42 SLRs were built like tanks. If you want solid, get Chinon.

Jerry, an MTL 5b is what you want, if you want a Praktica at all. You may have battery replacement problems with the MTL 3, as far as I remember. The difference between the MTL 5b and the MTL 3 is the meter reading, which is a needle with the MTL 5b and LEDs with the MTL 3. The MTL 5b was the last "classic" Praktica; it takes easily available silver oxide batteries. It is a fairly reliable, easy to use camera. Get some CZJ lenses (i.e. 2,4/35 Flektogon MC, 1,8/80 MC and 1,8/50 MC Pancolar) with it and you're in it for a pleasant surprise.

That said, a late one of the electronic Cosina Hi-Lite bodies with Copal square shutter may be a better choice for a M 42 shooter, as you have AE and a better build quality with it.

Peter

Jerry, my recommendation for an M42 late model Praktica with TTL is - don't!! Although you can pick them up fairly cheaply, these days you can pick just about any M42 SLR for relative peanuts. Any Praktica from the dreaded VEB Pentacon group is a recipe for disaster, IMHO, although I have a great affection for the earlier ones from KW. As some of the other guys have already said, a Pentax Spotmatic is the way to go. I used a Spotmatic F for several years, and what a truly great camera to use it was. You just couldn't fault it - beautifully made, controls in the right place, focussing so sharp and easy you wonder why they bother with AF, great range of lenses, accurate TTL system - and reliable to boot! The only bugbear with these is that not all M42 lenses will fit - or should I more correctly say, unfit .... A lot of M42 lenses from other manufacturers will fit the Spottie F fine, but give a lot of trouble when it comes to removing them. Things are OK if you stay with the SMC Takumars made for these F models, and what the hell, you can pick them up for a relative song these days anyway. The Pentax K1000 is basically a Spotmatic F with an updated K mount to keep up with the times, but as they were still making the K1000 until relatively recently, it must tell you something about what a great design the Spottie F was back in 1973! PN

Jerry,

I was a sucker for Practika for many years and used it despite many problems. I owned MTL3, MTL5, LTL all very good as long as they work. Unfortunately they all let me down. I recently switched to Pentax Spotmatic to take advantage of the Zeiss screwmount lenses (great optics) and I have no regrets. I endorse the spotmatic. happy shooting

I have an LLC. The Myer 50/1.8 lense takes good pics. The open aperature metering resistor is in the lense is not reliable though, and the camera is best used in stop down mode. Takes a funny 4.5v battery that one can buy in US on special order from Radio Shack, or one could probably simply tape a suitable set of batteries in series to come close to the correct voltage, which is apparently not critical in the LLC. The camera does seem to be a combination of decent and junky construction, and I would certainly trust it less than a Spotmatic.

Joe

The Praktica used 2 lines of lenses :

East German Zeiss (Branded "Carl Zeiss Jena" or aus "Jena")

Zeiss lenses = great.

Meyer lenses (Branded "Meyer" or aus "Pentacon")

Inferior to Zeiss in sharpness very good lenses giving an very interresting color rendition, and often very cheap ! I had a great 29mm for 5 euros !

Why do I consider a Praktica to have a cheap feeling ?

- use of plastic

Now something why more consequences :

- light camera

- brutal shutter and mirror

The kind of date that will give you a lot blurred pics at 1/30s.

However you can buy one just for the lens. I've forgotten one thing the Pentacon 50/1.8 focuses at 30cm it's nearly a mcro lens.

My first real camera was a Practica LTL.

I still think that having the shutter release on the top of the camera feels unnatural. On the front like the Practica seems like where it should be.

It took great pictures and was a good learning camera. After a couple of years, the shutter got messed up (uneven exposure) and it wasn't worth fixing. Got a Pentax K1000 after that.

"the M (as in MTL) were the cheaper series"-

probably so,- my MTL50 is pretty tinny with a number of plastic parts, but it's got that metal horizontal shutter, meter works ,not a scratch on it, and came with an aus jenna T2.8/50,which is as sharp a lens that this antique/vintage camera user ever needs to see-

and focuses down to about 10 in., which is damn near macro, and has a 3X tele converter,which ain't a prime,but works -

and for $42.00 total investment including shipping-you could do a lot worse.

Someone broke into my house and stole my MTL50!

I had a nice M42 wide angle zoom 17mm-25mm or something like that

from Jessops, a UK firm, badged Korean thing, ace it was, sharp and about ?50 NEW!!!

M==Metered TL==Thru Lens 50 ==50mm lens as standard? Thats my guess

I got a Nikon FG with the insurance, but the replacement zoom lens was all musshy

• 2 years later...

I have a series of cameras in m42 mount. Pentax spoptmatic 1000,Mamiya dtl 500,Praktica mtl5, mtl 5b, zenit 12 ca or xp, Zenit E, Zenit B,Zenit 122, Yashica TL Electro, Chinon CS, Chinon CE3 Memotron.

The most advanced technologically is the memotron with speeds in 1/2000 sec to 4 secs and auto exposure mode, good handling and of course electromagnetic shutter. A really good camera as well as it's cousin the CS which is completely mechanical. Very good cameras and very underrated. The yashica is very good too. Mine works very well and is light tight. The Zenits are the real battle tanks. They are like the AK 47. CST (Compact Simple Tough). The 122 is not so tough because it is plastic and has problems with the back door. You have to be carefull when you close it. I like this camera despite its little number of shutter speeds. It has a nice viewfinder that helps you a lot to focus and take a pic. The Praktica is good but not so solidly built as its russian friends. The lens of the praktica is very good because basically it is Carl Zeiss. The Spotmatic is very good camera but it is expensive and most of these cameras are used !!!! They are reliable but I think that they have given their potential. The lenses are good. Especially the f/1.4 normal lens but has turned Yellow. (Good for BW) Consequently and the good takumar lenses are not good now due to the yellow color they obtained. My f/1.4 is dead sharp but yellow.

The best choice for M42 cameras is to buy a new body Zenit 122. It goes about $120. It is a good camera and it takes every M42 lens. Take another body used, (Chinon CS) is the best Value for money. It can be found between $25 to $60 with the lens which is tomioka and it is similar to the takumar lenses. You have 2 bodies one for color and one for B/W. You are now a professional !!!

• 2 years later...