was looking for. I know Fuji 220 color film is expensive, but at the

cheapest photo supply store in my area (Kansas City, Mo.) it runs

over $8.00 a roll ($44.00 for a 5-roll propack). Fuji is my

favorite, especially since my lab prints on Fuji paper, and I don't

really want to change. Has anyone had experience buying film from

mail order houses such as B&H or Adorama? They have it a LOT

cheaper: NPS 160 (220) sells for $4.39 a roll. But is there any

reason why I shouldn't buy from them?

You shouldn't have any trouble with film from Adorama or B&H. I haven't had or heard of any problems with film from either.

Another retailer you might want to take a look at is Universal Film Distributors (www.unidiscountfilm.com). Their prices usual parallel B&H & Adorama, but occasionally you'll find great deals. Plus, shipping is free on orders of $300 or more.

Karen,

I have bought Fuji film from B&H in the past. I stopped buying film from them simply because it got a bit tedious wading through the flavors of film they offer: USA, non-USA, etc. This may simply be a case of being ambitously lazy, but what the heck.

I buy all my film (Fuji and Kodak) through Calumet Photograpic (www.calumetphoto.com). They do not have NY prices, but I find their prices to be fair.

-Nick

Thanks for your replies -- Nick, when you say USA and non-USA, how would I know what a particular film is, and what difference does it make? Fuji is made in the Netherlands, right? So would that be considered "non-USA," or are there other ratings placed on these films? In any event, I will check out Calumet also. Thanks!

"Consumer" film is made knowing that comsumers may have (different) Christmas shots at both ends of the same roll of film. It is made so that it has some time to "ripen" before the colors are at their best.

"Professional" film is shipped very close to the time when its color is at the ideal. Professional film us usually refrigerated to keep it at that ideal. Additionally, it is more uniform from batch to batch.

"U.S." film is film that was intended to be sold in the U.S. Professional U.S. films will be shipped and stored carefully to maintain their "professional" consistancy.

"Non-U.S." films are made for use outside the U.S. It's the same film, but perhaps it was made to be sold in Europe. Someone had it shipped to the U.S. And, it could be, for example, that it was shipped in a cargo vessel that was heated by the sun. This would change the color cast of the film. In other words, non-U.S. film has not necessarily had the same care taken in shipping it and in storing it. It could be fine, but it could have been damaged someway.

So, that's the difference. You might also want to check out the B&H web pages. They talk about this difference.

Can anyone explain why 220 is often more than double the price of 120 (e.g., at B&H 120 NPH is 2.49 and 220 is 5.19)? I can understand straight double or less, but more than that seems ridiculous. Even so, shouldn't there be a small price break for buying a larger quantity in a single package, like every other sector of commerce?

Garvey

I don't remember paying twenty bucks for 220 d and p. Shop for another lab, and when you do, ask them if they may stock 220 as a courtesy service to pro customers,or will consider doing same. The figures do not compute,and I agree you might be getting a bum deal. Good luck.

Well, I just started using this lab because they don't have a minimum of $5,000 a year in lab business, like the other prof. lab in town. They print on the kind of paper I like (lustre matte) and reprints are very reasonable if they do your proofing ($4.00 for 8x10s). And they print the name of the studio on the back of the photos so you don't have to stamp them. I guess it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, but they are very close to where I live so it's convenient in that respect. Their turnaround for proofs is 2 days, reprints are a week. The other lab I was using before this one prints on Kodak paper and I'd need to switch to using Portra film. I tried using Fuji with them and the pics don't come out good at all. Porta costs more, they charge about the same for proofing, and reprints are a lot higher. ($12.50 for 8x10s) So, I've had some problems finding a good lab in my area. I hesitate to send film out through the mail, because I feel the chances of it getting lost or damaged would be higher. But I'm open to suggestion! Thanks!

I pay $10 per roll of 120 and they charge by the # of shots, so 220 would cost twice as much, in my case $20 bucks same as your lab.Use 120, more choices, can finish off a roll quicker, and as you say its less than half what a roll of 220 cost you. I use B&H gray stuff. The price is right and never had any problems. When B& H is closed, I order from the FilmShop, $100 dollar order or more gets free shipping, prices about same as B&H. I stock up before summer so it doesn't get too hot inroute. As for it being shipped all over the world and back here, I doubt it. Probably sold to someone overseas and then resold to B&H before it ever ships. Then goes direct to B&H just like the "regular" film.

Kevin, are you in Kansas City area? Yes, I have checked into H&H - they are the ones that require a minimum of $5,000 a year in lab business before they will even take your account. Used to be small, now they're big. I'm using Mullally (MPI) in Raytown right now.