Hi y'all,

I just bought a beautiful chrome 2-lug M5, which's just what I've

wanted for a while, but have noticed something about its functionality

that I thought I'd check on: the photocell flips up when the film is

wound. This is fine, and makes a lot of sense, but how do you turn it

off? I don't want it to burn out my battery as it happily meters the

the inside of my bag, and leaving the shutter un-cocked is bound to

lose me some shots. Any advice?

The only 3 ways to switch an M5 meter off are to release the shutter, remove the lens, or take out the battery. I never made a formal survey of all the M5 owners I've met as to whether they do any of those things other than when they put the camera away for storage, but I never recall hearing or reading complaints about battery drain in the M5. This is probably because unless a CdS meter only draws from the battery to deflect the needle, and that only happens when the cell is exposed to light beyond its minimum sensitivity, probably not the case with a lenscap on or in your bag. The Rollei 35S compacts have CdS meters and no off switches, likewise the Pentax K1000 (though the Spotmatics do have a switch) and I've never heard they ate batteries either.

FWIW I used M5's, two of them for over 15 years as a pro and very seldom had to change batteries. I would suggest changing twelve months or so. I sold one of the M5s with the air type battery and It was working for me over six months. (I have two more M5s FS) Great cameras even better that other Ms. Of course many will disagree!!

Congradulations on getting the M5, James! I believe that the meter set up is the same as a CL's. I know from personal experience that the battery will last ages. On the CL the meter is turned off when the rewind lever is pushed in. Is that the case with the M5?

Jim,

I have and use M5s everyday. I found that I can change the battery(s) at the same time I change the batteries in my home smoke decters. We change them when the clocks are changed back and forth(twice a year). I have never had one stop working.

The PX625 mercury battery will last up to 5 years with regular use, and the power output is constant until it is finished (no false readings because of low battery output). Pretty much an ideal battery except for the environmentally important part - its toxic mercury profile. So, unfortunately everything else is a compromise for actual use. I'm still deciding what to do once my supply runs out in 10-15 years...

No way to turn it off once you've advanced the shutter, but if not in use keep a cap on.

And James,

Just a heads-up; if you need servicing - I feel worthwhile with any 'used' Leica to get a good start on a new life without hassles - contact Sherry Krauter, she is THE BEST with the M5 (or any Leica, but really exceptional with this camera). Early M5s with 2 lugs should be looked at, the shutter speed dial is known to be a bit 'loose' (one of the 'modifications' Leitz changed in later M5 cameras) and if very early the shutter drum needs to be checked. Personally I like the 2 lug design and use my M5 that way, the 3rd lug for horizontal use almost gets in the way, but does protect that side of body from unplanned impact. Really nice camera to use, congratulations on a good choice, but you know that!