Canon external flashes......

chase_heger

Can canon external flashes draw battery power from the camera body

itself or do they have to have their own batteries? I really would

rather be using battery power from a camera w/ a battery grip (three

batteries) than burning through AAs all the time.....

Also, is the 420ex a decent flash for an amateur photographer? Does

the flash tilt and swivel?

They do not draw power from the camera body.

As to what batteries to use in the flash you really, _REALLY_ want to use NiMH cells. First off they're rechargable, second, for high current devices like camera flashes, modern NiMH cells have higher capacities and can achieve higher drains on the battery (ie has a lower internal resistance) than alkaline cells.

A good place to get NiMH batteries and chargers online is http://thomasdistributing.com/

and yes the 420ex is a good flash and does tilt and swivel

You probably don't want flash to draw power from the camera. If your flash kills the batteries you will not be able to shoot at all. When doing events or weddings my camrea batteries can go all days, but I may run through several sets of rechargeables in flash. You may want to upgrade to the 550EX or 580EX which have HiVoltage plug and can take external powerpacks. There are power packs that can run both your camera and flash. Check out Quantum....

Chase,

<p>Short of a custom solder job, there's no way to make the 420ex run off of the internal batteries in the camera. And, as others said, if the flash drains the power from the camera's batteries, you're screwed. Run off of NiMH AAs, or check out the external powerpack options.

<p>Trust me, a heavily used flash will drain your camera's lithiums in no time flat.

<p>Jordan R. Urie

One in the camera and two in the grip no?

I dont have the grip as of yet because i was waiting to see if the flash worked off of those batteries, and then it would be a better investment......

I could be totally off the mark here, that is just what i assumed.