Trans-Siberian Railway and 120 Film

mark_stennett

Has anyone travelled the Trans-Siberian Railway from Moscow to

Beijing with quantities of 120 film and (in my case) a Mamiya 7II.

I am concerned about border crossings / customs with such gear and

would be interested in others experiences. I am assuming that

sourcing 120 film (Velvia) in the these countries (Russia /

Mongolia / China )will be difficult.

Will probably move on to Vietnam / Loas / Cambodia so same applies

there.

Was thinking of buying the 35mm adapter for the Mamiya as a back up

rather than carry another camera.

Any other travel tips in these places most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Mark - I haven't been to those places. My last big vacation with MF gear was to Malaysia/Singpore/Hong Kong. After calculating the amount of film I wanted to take, I decided to buy a 220 back for my RZ, and go completely 220. It makes an enormous difference to the volume and weight you'll be carrying, with the downside that your film choice will be a little more limited. It was also welcome to be changing film half as often - particularly if you're really hot and sweating buckets.

I've travelled around Africa, Japan and Scandanavia with MF stuff before. I'd advise you to be subtle and carefull about the gear you're carrying. I have a Timberland backpack, which I've fitted with a LowePro padded camerabag interior. My MF gear fits in this, as does my tripod, a small and lightweight Gitzo G1128. This is very light carbon fibre, I tension it with a bungie cord for added stability. With a rangefinder or with MLU, it's fine.

Using the Timberland I look like every other tourist, and it's not obvious that I'm carrying $n000 of equipment. I also have complete international camera insurance. I wouldn't be out of pocket if I lost everything; and that's a good feeling to have.

Be realistic about what you're taking, especially film. During the course of a day it would be nice to shoot a number of different types, but with 220 in a single rangefinder you won't be able to change that often - and you'll always have the 'wrong' film. Before now I've taken either entirely Astia, or to Scandanavia, entirely NHG II. Both worked well. If you always have a lightweight tripod with you, as I do, you'll always have a shot with slower film. Get a small tabletop tripod too that you can use indoors without anyone objecting.

I like the Lonely Planet 'Travel Photography' book by Richard I'Anson. Some of it is aimed at beginners, but it also contains a lot of useful and practical tips too.

Yesterday I was at a local camera store, and I overheard a conversation about a customer who had tried to FedEx film to China, instead of carrying it as luggage on the flight over. The Chinese customs officials confiscated the film, saying they suspected the film would be resold.

The 220 idea sounds good, as the number of film rolls would be cut in half.

Mark,

I have not travelled by railway but have been to China and Vietnam several times with my MF gear.You will have a hard time getting 120 in both countries,especially Vietnam,if you are in the out of the way places.There are many MF users in China and in cities like Beijing and Guanghou you will find places that that stock Fuji in 120.

I have heard that Ho Chi Min City also has 120 available but I would not take the chance in buying it there.You are better off to travel with just one type of film in countries like these and bring plenty of it.I agree with Andrew's comment regarding 220 if possible and by all means DO NOT ADVERTIZE YOUR EQUIPMENT.I carry my film in an X-ray bag just in case and make sure it is out of the boxes for easy inspection and they will inspect it most of the time.

Customs have never been a problem in either of these countries for me but of course there is always the first time.You will find that airport authorities like to take photos of people sitting inside lounges in Ho Chi Mihn City.The locals are almost always friendly but some do not like their pictures taken by foriegners...ask!If you are passing nearby military sites or in the airports keep your camera where it belongs,in the bag.The Phan Thiet region of Vietnam has some wonderful scenery(ocean,temples,fishing boats,rubber tree plantations).Good luck Mark!

Tom

Keep in mind that it is ilegal to export exposed and undeveloped film from

Vietnam. It is not a problem If you have it with you when you leave the country,

but if you try to FedEx it back home, they will confiscate all your film. FedEx DO

follow their laws.