Hasselblad reducing production and $$$

bob haight

It seems that the market is taking the logical route, as always. Bronica was the first to go, being a clunky mechanical system as it was. Then it seems it is the turn of the Hasselblad V system, another clunky system where even a back feels like an afterthought. No offense to Bronica and Hasselblad users, just my observations of the market's way of thinking.

While excellent systems overall IMHO, these don't fit in well with the digital happy market. The Contax doesn't really deserve to go, but Kyocera isn't doing much to prevent its demise. Mamiya and the Fujiblad seem to have convinced everybody that their "digital" versions of cameras are somehow worth paying $20K for.

That only leaves Rollei - which already allows several digital backs to be mounted, but doesn't market a 6008 'AF-D'. Its not like the Mamiya or H1D have anything special over the regular versions. Some databus contacts or something equally trivial, but customers see the 'D' and jump. Rollei already has electronic back-camera communication contacts, and so attaching any digital back should be seamless. They do need to spruce up their marketing, and they could be the only brand outside Mamiya and Fuji to survive.

Or maybe they'll simply fold up.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it really matter to working photographers? Hasselblad and Ziess have been cranking out superlative cameras, lenses and accessories for half a century, mostly all compatible, and the world is now full of the stuff (and other worlds as well but that's a bit expensive to go and get).

But it is all so good, and now relatively affordable, that we don't really need the factory making it new any more. Have you looked up Hasselblad on Ebay lately? The listings offer everything a photographer could possibly need.

Let them make digital cameras if they want, we have inherited a magnificent legacy of always useable secondhand gear which will be around for a long, long time, beit with film (excuse, me - one can still buy 620 film from specialty suppliers) or digital.

It will be like film - a fine old camera is as good as the newest emusion available. In the future, a fine old Hasselblad will be as good as the newest digi back.

"WHo said they "scrapped" the V-system?"

Well in an article in UK's Amateur Photographer dated 6th November, Simon Barnard, MD of Hasselblad UK is quoted as saying that the 501; 555, and 905 will be discontinued, leaving only the 503 in the V series range.

The article says that production of the 501 has already halted.

The article also said (and here's a real weasel for you) that "Hasselblad insists that it has no plans to phase out its 6x6 cameras , though it has decided to discontinue three V-system models" -whatever that may mean. Apparently though we aren't meant to think that these discontinuations represent a reduction in commitment to film-based photography though, for as a further quote indicates "We are not abandoning traditional" and Barnard, who apparently insisted that the classic 6x6 format camera will be available for many years.

Sounds quite sensible to me.<br>I have long wondered why we need so many cameras in the V-system. The 503, with optional winder, can do everything the ELD and 501 thingies can do.<br>So good riddance.<br><br>What does surprise me a bit is that after enjoying 50 years (introduced at the Photokina in 1954) of reasonable (or so one would imagine) popularity, is going away. If it's true that it is, of course. But perhaps sales figures of late really are bad, and there's nothing left to do but discontinue the thing?<br><br>Anyway, i think i can live with a one-camera V-system. No problem!

"...The 503, with optional winder, can do everything the ELD and 501 thingies can do..."

I may be wrong but can't the 555 do multiple exposures without disturbing the film registration? Not that I need multiple exposures.

I just hope that 'Imacon dba Hasselblad' and Zeiss will continue to develop something interesting as previously 'promised' by Dr. Kornelius Fleischer, though it now looks very doubtful.

Aside from all that the real question is... will the 503 be available in colors? You know, we have to keep our priorities in order...:)

vic... :)

Vic,<br><br>You are indeed wrong. ;-)<br>Multiple exposures involves removing the back before winding with all 500- and 200-series Hasselblad models. The ELD is no exception.<br><br>I would like to see a black trim, grey cover (without the fake leather print) 503 CW, yes. Just like the H1 colour scheme.<br>But i hate the colours available now.<br>And to answer your real question ;-) : the 503 is already (!) available in a (limited) choice of colours.

Q.G.

Wasn't sure, guess I was wrong. 2 maybe 3 years ago I asked a Hasselblad rep re: inadequate registration acheived when doing the remove/wind/replace back method. He indicated the 555 had the capability built in. Never did follow up on it, didn't make sense to buy yet another body for the one or two ideas in mind at the time.

Sorry, was being sarcastic re: colors, its just a tool not a toy. Don't need, wouldn't want. Although it might be kind of neat to see one in total chrome, totally reflective. Of course the lenses and backs would then also have to match.

vic... :)

Got this Hasselblad Newsletter yesterday:

"The new Hasselblad organization

11/3/2004 There have been a number of changes in the Hasselblad organization over the last few months and so recently a press conference was held in G�teborg to help illuminate the present situation. Unfortunately some of the information has been misinterpreted in the press which has caused concern about the future of certain products. The following is a statement by Christian Poulsen, CEO of Hasselblad and is a clarification of how the new Hasselblad sees the future and how the V, H and X systems are integrated within the new company strategies.

"The latest changes will refocus the company?s resources towards product integration and creation of professional, high-end digital cameras based around the Hasselblad medium-format platform. We are merging the best technologies from both companies (Hasselblad and Imacon) to create new products for our customers. Both the camera and digital systems are highly complementary and we are very excited about the short and long-term opportunities. The recent announcements of the new digital H1D camera, Ixpress V96C camera back, Hasselblad branded scanners and additional new lenses for the Hasselblad H system are perfect illustrations of the capabilities and direction of the new company.

The restructuring will result in the downsizing of approximately 60 positions at the Hasselblad factory in Sweden. Camera R&D and production will continue in Gothenburg for the foreseeable future, while the digital products will continue to be developed and assembled at Hasselblad?s facilities in Copenhagen. The level of investment in the company?s core technologies will increase appreciably.

The Hasselblad camera systems are a vital part of the company?s future strategy, around which the new digital products will be designed. The V-system products are positioned as the ?classic? Hasselblad, with the square format and traditional camera features many photographers want. For photographers who prefer a higher level of digital integration, the H System is the most modern medium-format camera in the world. We could not ask for two better camera platforms on which to base a new generation of products.

Our vision is to become the market leader in high-end digital photography. Leveraging the combined company?s brand legacy and cutting edge camera & digital technology, we believe Hasselblad is ideally positioned to realize this goal. This restructuring was necessary to ensure the company remains healthy and capable of aggressively meeting the changes and needs of the photo market. The changes will take effect at the end of 2004.""

"Multiple exposures involves removing the back before winding with all 500- and 200-series Hasselblad models."

this isn't correct. perhaps Mr. Bakker had something else in mind. my 203FE affords infinite exposures without removal of the film back. the possibility of losing registration due to movement of the camera when pressing the central winding-release button and re-cocking the shutter is unfortunately quite probable. it is certainly an improvement over the 500 series, but marginally so.

Mr. Bakker,

you have corrected my own stupidity, when I most certainly knew the proper answer, many times, such that I feel honoured to reciprocate. it is so easy to read the question, in partial, only to respond with great regrets once the submit button has been clicked upon. if only for a 'retrieve' function within the first minute of answering, that we would all look so much the brighter!

I believe we have answered the question. I still find my Flexbody and 210FE lens, to be beyond what I might find in a digital offering. and of course, there is the intangible glee from using a Hasselblad slowly, and appreciating the art of fine craftmanship that transcends and adds to the experience. or so I keep telling myself everytime I look at the Hasselblad bodies and lenses (and accessories) that are filling every nook and cranny of my new boat. my Hallberg-Rassy sailboat, built in the same town as my Swedish Hasselblad's .. is exerting a peculiar hold on them, and will surely seek retribution should I ever sell them.