To go vertical or not

gmahler5th

I have used different rules, such as take a vertical for every

horizontal that you shoot; go vertical for photos with only 1 or 2

people in them (formal portraits anyways) -- I really enjoy

verticals. They seem much nicer in frames than horizontal images.

My last wedding was probably 80% vertical images. I am beginning to

ask myself, why did I take so many verticals? I realize there is no

right or wrong approach, and I am definately going for a particular

style, but it just makes me curious. Have I lost an appreciation for

horizontal compositions? What is your thinking when you decide

between a vertical or horizontal composition? I know the easy way

out is to shoot one of both, but in many PJ moments, you only have

one chance to get that perfect shot! Will you shoot vertical, or not?

Whatever seems right at the moment! I don't think about it. I don't fret over it.

Sometimes, though, I miss he freedom of shooting with a Rolleiflex or 'blad and that big square negative. Shoot now and decide later! Or you can let the client look at the 5x5 proofs and make the decision. You can even just specify "8x10" on the lab order form and let the lab tech decide.

I guess when you are shooting people, the vertical orientation is kinda natural (especially for full figure shots).

You might want to try square format (just to see how it works for you). If you do not frame really tight, you can often crop the picture both ways and decide which one you like more.

I never heard of the "shoot one of each" rule. I also don't think about it. I just bring the camera to my eye and instinctively go one way or the other, without any conscious decision making, although if turning the camera will take too much time (and I'll miss a shot), I just shoot horizontal.

Often time the vertical "crop" is the one that works best in the view finder. If you get more than 3 ppl wide you have to go horizontal.

You also have to remember to leave room around the edges for cropping when the image is made into an 8X10.. and you need to do that with every image in 35mm format as an 8X10 will shave off quite a bit.

Shooting sqaure is, of course, the best way to avoid worrying about it.

I go for vertical how often I can. I have only one problem with groups of four people. This kind of group is almost a square. If I shoot horizontal I have too much empty space in both laterals, if I go for a vertical framing I have too much room above and bellow. With this kind of group I have to take my decision judging surroundings and how they could help the composition. On the other hand, shooting vertical will create some problems with the shadows made by the position of the flash. I should use a bracket, but sometimes I prefer to hold the flash in my hand (Vivitar 283).

For me this has more to do with the final output. If it is going into one of those cheapy photo albums where all the slots are horizontal, then I tend to shoot more horizontal. But if I am looking to create a large print or poster, I go for vertical.

I do think vertical shots of people look nicer when framed than horizontal ones.