Upgrade video card for faster PS routines?

Planning now for a new computer and I want to spend my money where it

gets the most bang for digital image processing. I assume I should

get the best board and processor I can afford and plenty of RAM (3

gigs?). I do 4000 dpi film scans so the files start out large. I am

certainly not a gamer, however, I was wondering if a higher grade

video card speeds up PS calculations? A good card is around $100,

but they go up fast from there to over $300. I do not want to spend

money on power I will not use much. Thanks for any ideas.

In general, a faster or more capable video card will not help in photoshop work at all. The delays in running photoshop are not in getting the video out but rather in getting the processing done. On the other hand, I would suggest that you get a relatively "plain vanilla" card which is capable of driving two monitors at once. The one I have is the Matrox G450, an older card by now, for which I paid about $160 or so a couple of years ago. IIRC, it has 64 MB of RAM per screen, which is more than enough, and it runs two monitors very well.

Jeremy, how would I use two simultaneous monitors to my benefit? Is it possible to have one program showing on one and a second program on another? This is new to me so I would have to learn about the setup - my current board only has one monitor out slot. Thanks for the info.

The benefit would be to have the photo on one (bigger) monitor and the palettes on another (smaller). I just built up a computer to do only PS and once you go to a two-monitor setup you'll never look back.

Also, a second vote for the Matrox. Also get a real fast drive to use as a scratch disk only.

A very high end pro grade graphics card will make a significant difference on PS speed with very large files - but it will likely cost more than your PC! I'm not talking gaming cards here but ones designed for 3D rendering workstations. Your best bang for the buck/pound will be RAM but be aware PS can only use 2gig - anything above this is not going to make it faster but may alow you to run more apps at once. Next is scratch disk speed - a fast small SCSI disk running from a PCI controller or better still off an integrated motherboard will keep delays to a minimum. You can't go wrong with Matrox for 2D work

A 3D workstation card will not bring a lot for PS, I have such a 3D workstation with a 1500.- US$ Wildcat, in 2D there is no big difference to other cards.

But I agree to the advantage of a 2monitor setup, all Matrox from G400 handle this in a good way, very good quality at good price brings the current P650. If you are on PC 3gigs of RAM will not be that good, I think only Win2k server supports this on a single CPU computer, ordinary 2gigs are supported.

<I>A very high end pro grade graphics card will make a significant difference on PS speed with very large files</i><P>I bet faster RAM helps Photoshop too because the CPU is really being slowed down by CAS latency {smirk}. <P>2-D graphics cards do not make a difference in terms of Photoshop performance - period. The cheap, integrated video solutions that share memeory on your motherboard might slow performance a bit because the compete for some system resources, but that's it. Dedicated graphics cards won't influence Photoshop performance because Photoshop does NOT use your GPU for processing.<P>Also, there's no difference in display quality nor an advantage to using Matrox over any other card unless you like to read 5yr old PC magazine reviews that have no credit in the DTP field anyways. It's more nonsensical brand hype because most us are using NVidia and ATI, so the Matrox geeks feel they are doing something special by being different, when in fact the main outboard circuitry on the cards that dictates analog quality comes from the same plants in Taiwan. <P>You can get a generic ATI 9000x series or NVidia Gforce4MX from NewEgg for less than $50, and either of these are overkill for Photoshop and work with about any computer.

My CAD guys use them, and I can't see any difference with my high end game cards at home. <P>Best Buy, Jerk-It City, or any Electronics super store is the *worst place* to buy video cards from. <a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-127-128&DEPA=1">Here's a link </a> to a good card at NewEgg I've been deploying on new workstations. The MSI or Aopen version of the card all work exellent, and have passive heat sinks so you don't have fans to worry about. Not a good game card, but total overkill for 2-D work.

I agree with scott. I did some research and finally settled for the chaintech volari v3 video card (128 ram) from Newegg.com ($44)- Further reviews can be found under the product at the newegg site, including a link to a detailed review. This card and others like it from ATI(5200 series) or Nvidia (more expensive) will support dual monitor setup, one vga, and other dvi. I am happy with how fast the windows load with paint shop pro. It also makes internet pages , especially photo and video load on to the screen faster. I am not into gaming, but DVD movies are a pleasure to watch as well. I must agree with people who recommended increasing RAM, as image editing with large files does become faster.

<p>Hi Tom,</p>

<p>I spent my money on a very fast processor, fast and large hard drives and backup, a very good monitor, wimpy audio and a decent ATI card with DVI. The high end 3D video cards are for gamers. I went to a local shop that was able to custom build to my specs. The big box stores are a waste of time and money.</p>

About using more then one monitor: Windows 2000 (and XP i think) can handle up to 10 monitors. Some videocards can handle two displays, like matrox dualhead and some cards from nVidia and ATI. Now the cool thing is that you can use TWO videocards in windows. So if you got an old PCI card that you like, use that AND your AGP card, or just use two PCI-cards.

I have a computer with a matrox dualhead and an old PCI card, so I use three displays. Nice. But I have not been able to use more then two videocards.

You may have to change som settings in BIOS, like use PCI as primary videocard, but the rest is easy. You can change the settings for each monitor, and you can drag them around to place them as you like.

Just thought you wanted to know.

M岴en