Fine Art Photo Supply - Any product recommendations

ngyuen__billy__kok

hello all,

I have been receiving the Fine Art Photo Supply email newsletters for a

while now and I'm quite curious as to the owner's claims regarding

the equipment and black & white paper and chemistry he sells. My first thought was,

"Is this guy for real" as his product claims seem quite extrodrinary to say the least. I

must say that I may be a bit cynical, but for example he ststes that the Perfecta B&W

enlarging paper he sells is made in the USA to his unique specifications I did not know

thre were any photogaphic paper manufacturers left in the USA besides Eastman

Kodak and I find it hard to beleive that the Great Yellow Father would make and coat a

custom emulsion for what would appear to be a very low sales volume delaer. He also

claims that his View Cameras are again made to his specifications, but on close

examination of the photos, they sure look like a Tachihara to me. I will state that I hve

no problem if a vendor wants to re-package a product and sell it under his own

private label. I'm just curious if any you on the forum have used his products and were

you pleased and satisfied with the products.

I've used Anthony's Versaprint paper developer and ArtFix chemicals, have one of his big tripods, and have purchased photographic paper from him. I've been quite happy with everything I've bought from him.

My sense is that he doesn't just look for something to sell - he actually uses this stuff - and if it doesn't meet his personal standards he doesn't sell it. Not like most camera/photographic stores these days...

When I contacted him with questions about his tripods we talked for some time about the cameras I'd be using with it (8X10 Sinar and Kodak MasterView), he made sure that I understood that it was big and heavy (and rock solid). It isn't something I'd try carrying up the side of a mountain, but if I did I know I could rely on it. I trust Anthony as a supplier.

Bill

I recently called on a Saturday afternoon to place an order. As I expected to get an answering machine I was surprised when Anthony picked up the phone. We talked for over 30 minutes. Glad I have unlimited cell phone minutes. I am a very basic, and not an overly technical or artistic picture maker. It was like the old days when you called Zone VI and Fred Picker answered his own phone. My order was quickly shipped, in fine order and all products as promised and are working. I'll be a repeat customer.

I bought a rotary trimmer from him once and it wouldn't cut square so....I happen to know an engineer and had him check it out...yep it's bad. I sent it back and guess what? The customer is always wrong! He claimed it was better than the one he uses. Well I can assure you it was in fact bad and he wouldn't hear it. I got so frustrated with him I just wanted my money back and was hit with an excessive "re-stocking fee." The guy is pretty shady if you ask me. I would avoid him like the plague.

• 1 month later...