How to get hazy glow in photos?

max_fun

Hi,

I was just flipping through the current issue of LensWork and I was admiring the

photographs of China by James Whitlow Delano. I noticed that all the photos look a little

hazy, have pretty severe vignetting and there seems to be a dark aura around the subjects.

I suspect that it might be from an uncoated lens with low contrast, unless it's all post-

processed.

I'm just wondering if anyone's familiar with his work and his gear? Is this the look you get

from a really old lens like the Summitar? I think the effect kind of fits the subjects in his

photos, but might be harder to use in modern cities.

Cheers!

I asked this question before and many people responded in the past that this is the result of a bag of tricks performed by the printing press masters. And, LensWork has very experienced print masters there.

Look at books published by Phaidon Press and Blufinch and you will see the same thing, although they do not glow as consistently as LensWork.

You don't need to have an old lens to get that kind of effect. There are multiple special effects filters that will do it and they usually come in different strengths (ie. different magnitudes of the effect). There are fog filters, diffusion, soft focus, etc. There are differences in the type of effect you get with different filters, but Tiffen and others offer a variety of these filters.

The low tech method is to take a plain (UV) filter and smear some vasoline on the surface :-) Also, some manufacturers (eg., Canon EF) offer soft focus lenses in which you can vary the effect.

Any lens not well corrected for spherical aberration will do it, which includes a lot of older lenses. The effect is reduced when you stop down, so need to use a wider aperatures.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Does anybody know if the photos in LensWork are

really just somehow printed in the magazine that way? Of did Delano actually use filters or

even Photoshop to get the effects?

Thanks Lutz, I've tried the gaussian effect and I think it's great, but the look is very even,

unlike the Delano photos, which looks more... organic (for lack of a better word). Maybe

it's just because I've never tried the method on such very contrasty pictures.

I was thinking of getting some Zeiss Softar filters, but I was adviced to use Photoshop for

the same effect, that's why I passed on them. But I didn't know that there were other kinds

of filters; I'll probably have a quick shop around to see what's available. Personally, I

usually prefer to use filters/analog methods than to replicate it with Photoshop.

I've seen one solution that looked good to me, and heard of three others. The gaussian

blur

effect described in Lutz's post is just too...even, too perfect. In the analog world the magic

comes from imperfection.

<p>So, check this product out, the Pictrol soft focus lens for your enlarger here: <a

href="http://buyporters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCS&Product_Code=22

-0342&Product_Count=&Category_Code=">link</a>. Break/paint parts of it for a more

uneven effect! Porter's has some weird sh**.

<p>I've seen work done with it that is very Holga like, and of course, you can vary the

effect with it. Never used it, just seen 20x24's of it off of a 35mm neg. I'm not really into

printing.

<p>I've also heard of printers using different women's stockings in front of the enlarger

lens: black vs white, fishnet vs fine, hole(s) vs no hole etc. With a central hole, you could

get some interesting sharp/not sharp effects, maybe.

<p>Also, I've seen reproductions of work in magazines from people that expose the b/w

paper submersed in a liquid (water?). THAT can be really interesting, especially if the paper

isn't all 'aligned' and is floating a bit. Impossible to control well, I'd gather.

<p>The other thing I 'saw' was a digital solution, a Holga Photoshop plug in here:

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007avv">link</a>

<p>I can't vouch for that solution...never seen a print, only a jpg, hence the quotes

around the word 'saw.'<div>0099TG-19170784.jpg.800c74c49517403a4edfbc5377677b49.jpg</div>

Also (I miss posts when I'm responding to other posts!), I'm quite sure that the Delano

reproductions in Lenswork are not a high-end magazine printing technique, as that rag is

dedicated to the most perfect reproductions of how the artist's original prints look in

person.

It would be *very* strange for any magazine to alter/enhance an artists work on purpose.

They might screw up, of course, but the results wouldn't look nice.

Whao... it's actually quite hard to find a Summar. Would a scratched Summitar do? How about the 35mm Summaron?

I know that the Holga is pretty cool, but I tried one and I can't for the life of me tape the bloody thing enough to get rid of light leaks. Really too expensive to keep experimenting and screwing up, that's why I've stopped using it.