Lens hood with Summicron built-in?

I agree that my subject line was misworded. I suppose that happens when slacking off during a meeting and posting to PN, eh? Hehe.

It should have read:

Add-on lens hood for Summicron with built-in shade.

Or something similar.

Anyway... I don't like the flimsy feeling of the pull-out shade. Also, I worry about it getting moisture inside the lens barrel when mist or raindrops land on it and it's retracted.

I'll just shoot sans hood until I notice a problem, but knowing what the options are would be nice.

I hate having to pull out the hood and put in back on to use a lens cap.

My solution has been to use a 39mm B+W rubber lens shade. It is easy to put the lens cap

on the collapsed (and even uncollapsed) shade. Even though the rubber hood has a deep

metal ring, I've yet to see vignetting, even with a filter between the hood and the lens.

I have seen flare on the latest 50mm summicron - The only case was at a party, where a

bright ceiling light was just outside the picture area. Or, was that because I had a case of

something to drink at the party? Oh well, I like the rubber shade on the Summicron -

makes a convenient package, particularly if you don't use a filter.

I have the same lens and found a 49mm metal hood that was perfect once a 39mm - 49mm step up ring was added. I think the hood is a vivitar from some old slr lens. I recommend going to a camera shop that has a good selection of used goodies and start digging. I'm sure you'll find something. I think I paid about $10 for both pieces. I am still searching for a smaller diameter hood, but what I have works and it was a cheap fix. I also added a home-made focusing tab. I can show a photo of it iffen you are interested.

Toby,

Even though the hood does prevent/minimize flare on the lens... it was (IMHO) a

design flaw for Leica not to have given us the ability to lock the hood out.

I have a 90 cron that has the sliding hood... what a pain in the a** it is!

Consequently, I found a metal hood that could be screwed onto the lens and I taped

the sliding hood to the new hood in such a way that the old hood is now non-

movable.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Toby,<br>

I have a specially made ring adapter (from a filter). You just screw it as a filter on the lens, and then you can clip the 12585 vented hood (or any similar one from the previous Summicron 50 models) on it. Great solution if you hate your built-in hood.<br>

By the way, I finally sold my latest model Summicron for the same reason. I absolutely HATE the built in hood, the way it looks like when it's fully extended or partly extended after you touch something with the lens.<br>

If you need more information please contact me privately.