Mamiya 645 Pro for a 645 PRO TL Or something new?

toan_truong1

Hey guys, I currently have a Mamiya 645 Pro with the power grip,

80mm Leaf Lens, and a wide angle lens (can't remember the exact

spec) Anywho..I'm only in college and it's been awhile since my HS

photo class so i'm taking one this fall at my community college.

This has sparked my interest again in photography. I've always

wanted a 645 Pro TL which metered flash for me, it would be alot

easier than pulling out my light meter everytime.

I was thinking about selling my 645 Pro body and get a TL one, just

pay the difference. Although i've never done any magazine covers,

things like that. Is the 6x4.5 format big enough? Or should I sell

my kit and go for square 6x6 or a 6x7? I want to keep it affordable,

yet still have TTL Flash, and a nice range of shutter speeds. I've

noticed on alof of the older Pentax MF bodies, the shutter speeds

aren't very fast. Either way, thanks for your time and any help is

appreciated.

First, you will need a flash system (like one of the Metz) that can be used with the TTL

capabilities. These can almost equal the price of a new body.

The leaf shutter lens will allow synch up to 1/500 so you can dial in exactly the exposures

you want. You will still likely use your light meter.

If I may make a suggestion, buy only a flash unit that can work with the Pro TTL, but don't

buy the TTL module. Try it for awhile using the flash's built in controls and see how that

works. That way you may find that the extra expense isn't need. You'll have a fine camera

and an excellent flash. If you find you still need full TTL capabilities, upgrade with no

wasted investment.

The 645 format can make beautiful prints to at least twice the size of Cosmopolitan

Magazine. If it doesn't, you can't blame the format.

best wishes

So your saying I should get the TL body, find a flash that works with only that body so I utilize the TTL from the body, not a for example Metz TTL device? Sounds good to me. I'm just trying to avoid using a light meter every time I shoot something. It's understandable that I will if I use my Leaf Shutter but just normal "Point & Shoot" i'd like it to be automated.

Not exactly. Keep the Pro. Buy whatever flash you would like as if you had a proTTL. Then

just use the flashes built in exposure control for flash. Try that for awhile to see if it meets

your needs.

Only if that doesn't meet your needs should you trade in the Pro and purchase a ProTTL

and whatever flash module you need to interface with the ProTTL. Most of these flashes

need a module made for a specific camera with the proper electronics.

No mater what you use it will never be exactly a point and shoot. You have to set

something. You may find that a good flash is all you need and save yourself the expense

of a new body and flash module. That money can go to something else.

Of course you could buy a used Vivitar 283 and try that for a period of time. It will depend

on what you like to shoot. What are you using for flash now?

good luck.

Well, right now i'm using a Sunpak 544 for a flash. Connected directly to the body. I set my shutter speed on the body to 1/60, set my flash power to what my heart desires and use a light meter to determine my f-stop. Thats how i've been doing it. The PRO body has a flash mount but does not have ttl capabilites so I think it's kind of useless. I understand that nothing will be ever point and shoot but I guess what would be nice, is to be able to set my shutter to 1/60 or AUTO, have a certain fstop and have the flash determine power. But all that really is, is the PRO TL body with a corresponding flash. Suggestions? Thanks for your help

What Steve Muncy said. If you have a 645 Pro (as I do), you know if the neg's big enough. I've read posts from people that say the TTL feature isn't much better than auto-flash (sensor on flash).

That said, I also have a Canon with a dedicated TTL flash, and it is fun and carefree to bounce the flash every which way without a worry about exposure.

The Metz's are very expensive, BTW.

Does the sunpak have a sensor on it? I can set the Flash to a certain ISO/F-Stop, and goto full power/auto, but I think that only works with bodies with TTL? Unless i'm wrong..Well I guess I can live with it, I'll spend my money on a rangefinder or better yet a bathroom darkroom.

The 544 is a very versitile flash with good controls. Set the shutter speed appropriately.

Then set the flash to one of the automatic selections, say f/11, then set the lens aperture

to f/11. Let the electronics of the flash do their job.

If your exposures are consistantly off, you may have to make a small adjustment. I would

adjust the ISO on the flash. I have the ProTTL and use the above method for on camera

flash. It works for the things I shoot. You have a very fine system already so try to get

everything from it before spending a large sum of money.