Lens for a Nikon N80

chris_hilliard

I have an N80 and I love my Nikon 18-35mm f3.5-f4.5D IF-ED AF. I am not rich and it's the most expensive lens I have, but I used it a lot and think it's worth every penny. Once you use it you won't want to touch your G lens again (I save the G lens in case someone borrows my camera.) But if cost is a concern...I haven't used a Vivitar so can't compare - sorry.

Both the 24 and the 18-35 are excellent lenses as well as being inexpensive (relatively...esp. used). I often consider the 17-35ED AFS, and then I look at the slides that I've shot with these two lenses and I decide against. I especially enjoy the close focusing and CRC of the 24.

I support the recommendations of the Nikon 18-35 and the 24 2.8 AF; however, since I once tried the Vivitar, I would say it is not a bad performer. If you have not decided the style you want to shoot, for $80-120 you can buy a 2nd-hand Vivitar; if you are already conviced this is the lens range you need, then go for any of the Nikkors.

Not long ago I would have agreed entirely with these posters, although I wouldn't rule out a 17-35mm lense now. Prices have plummeted as many people have upgraded to the 17-55 or other DX lenses and so the used price makes the 17-35 affordable (although still much more than an 18-35). On an F80 the 17-35 is a little heavy, although it would be fine with the battery grip. The extra 1/2 stop to 1 1/2 stops makes a big difference and allows you to handhold wide angle shots with slow film in quite dark conditions. With the 17-35mm you won't need to worry about quality compared to the 24mm f2.8 and 35m f2 primes (certainly in my experience, and that of many others). The only factor is the total weight.

rgds, Stephen