Canon EF 70-200 f4 L`s backfocus: which lens "infected"?

wadim_kahlkopf

I dont think this is as big of an issue as it seems. Canon has probably sold over a million of these zooms and only a small percentage of ppl complain.

Worst case if you get one, you can send your lenses and bodies to Canon and they will "sync" the zooms often for free or a small charge.

I originally thought about buying the 85/1.8 USM and 135/2 USM L but was tempted to buy the 70-200/4 USM L as everyone is so happy with it. The 135/2 USM L alone is more expensive. However, after only two months of use I sold it.

Why? Because of two reasons.

1. I found that f/4 at 200mm is limiting when lights get low. For me, handheld ability is a must and a tripod is out of the question. I'm thinking about getting a monopod.

2. I found that f/4 and f/5.6 sharpness was below my expectations. I got better sharpness from my 50/1.8 at 1.8! Yes, I know that the consensus is that this it a great lens but my sample was nowhere near to what others described. Did I get a lemon? Maybe but the guy I sold it to was extremely happy. Does it have to do with the fact that he uses a DSLR while I use a film one? I really don't know. Is it because I am used to primes while his other lens was 28-200? Again, I don't know. From recent talks I suspect that one of the lens' elements was misaligned (all shots were taken in AF mode).

I was in the market for the 70-200/2.8 IS for quite some time (as I liked the zoom capability) but was tempted - again - by a used 85/1.8 and 200/2.8 at about 60% of the price. This time however, I am extremely happy. Those primes are absolutely stunning and the faster aperture only adds to my delight. These ones will stay with me for a long time.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.