vikas_sethi

Hi :

I did some research on the internet but could n't find

much information.

I recently started taking landscape/harbour shots during

twilight.

I was curious which twilight filter 1/2 or 3 , should I try to

enhance the color of the sky ?

Any suggestions/pointers are appreciated ?

Thanks,

Vikas

I would imagine that the colour of the sky does not need enhancing - The problem lies with the metering and exposure of the scene. Most TTL systems will be easily fooled by a twilight scene. Unless there is a lot of artificial light around, they will over-compensate and turn your twilight into a washed out 'overcast at midday' looking scene and will burn out the colours in the sky.

There's no hard-and-fast rule here. Experimentation is the key. Try dialing -1 or -2 exposure compensation or just bracket like mad. Using a high saturation film like Fuji Velvia RVP will also maximise the colours.

Ask yourself why you are taking the picture in the first place. If you've got a fantastic sky then just shoot it as it is. If you've got a washed out sky, then no amount of filters or digital tinkering is going to turn it into a great one.Personally I would avoid the fancy coloured grads as they will only result in a totally unnatural picture. I would imagine that most people have tried some of the 'creative' filters at some point - I know I have! - but at the end of the day they usually end up collecting dust somewhere and are rarely used. Having said that, A ND grad can really help boost the colours in the sky.