efke 25 or 100 in 5x7

john_smith83

I'm makin the jump to large format. I just won a old klunker 5x7 off

ebay.Have been by my local pro shop and picked up some film holders

and a Turner-Reich 7 1/2,12,18 lens which by the look of a 4x5 chrome

that was shot with it is sharp to death. My question is has anyone

shot Efke 25 and Efke 100 in cut film and if so which one gives you

the best apparent sharpness.I have shot efke 25 in roll film and the

100 in cut film( same camera, same lens,same f-stop, same processing)

and although I love the smooth no grain look of the 25 in a 2x3 the

100 seems to "look" sharper. Need to order a box of 5x7 and just

wanted some input from those who know.Thanks

Either of those films will provide more than ample sharpness for fine art photographic prints. I suspect you observe Efke 25 as being sharper because of its contrast. Efke 25 is a very contrasty film and contrast will enhance the appearance of sharpness, but it doesn?t mean it is sharper.

Both of these films are nice, but Efke 25 is more of a specialty film; it is not capable of great expansion/contraction and is best suited for low contrast scenes. I suggest you give PL100 a try in 5x7 and you won?t be disappointed.

Regards, Pete

The 100 will have a bit more grain than the 25 speed emulsion and have a bit more of an 'edge' to the grain giving an apparent visual sharpness greater than the lower speed film. The very excellent book by the recently deceased Barry Thornton called 'Edge of Darkness' goes into this quite a bit and is a must read.

I have shot the 25 speed in 5x7 but only made contacts, I love the internal contrast that isn't there in such great amounts in the higher speed films(400+ ISO). It is a bit touchy to develop as even thirty seconds of development either side of 'normal'can make a difference. You never have to worry about getting flat shadows thats for sure. Perhaps a lower dilution of your normal developer may allow more control that would ease any fears of over/under timing development but since you are familiar with the emulsion already there is no need to explain that, sorry!