White Mountains, NH suggestions

loraine

I am planning a trip this year in May with a photographer/hiking

friend to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Neither of us has

been to NH before.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to go for some good photo

opportunities? We both like to hike so a fairly strenuous trail is

ok.

We are looking for waterfalls, flowers, nice mountaintop views etc.

Also would appreciate any lodging suggestions.

Thanks,

Loraine

Options are unlimited. Depending on how much time you will be in the White Mountains.

My favorite is the Pinkham Notch Area.

Park at the Pinkham Notch visitor center on route 16. From there you can hike up in into Tuckermans Ravine, Huntington Ravine, Mount Washington and into the Presidential Range. Photo opportunities are everywhere if you pick this area.

Keep in mind that above ridgeline could still have snow and probaly will. Tuckermans and Huntington Ravine will have snow depending on the weather.

You will not be disappointed anywhere you go in the White Mountains.

Here is a site that gives alot of info on Hiking in the Mountains of New Hampshire

http://www.outdoors.org/

You can also check out my site to get an idea of what is above ridge line and in the White Mountains at www.scenicnh.com . Let me know if you see a area on my web site you are interested in and I will get you in the general area

Enjoy

I have been once in the fall and am eager to go back. I hiked in several different areas (Franconia, Mt. Washington/Great Gulf, Saco River, etc) and there was nothing I wouldn't recommend. The 'White Mountain Guide' (published by the AMC and available at the website mentioned above) is well worth the money and can get you started. Do be prepared for strenuous hiking as most trails to summits are pretty steep (no switchbacking!).

I spent five days there last August, hiked Lion's Head to Washington summit, then return via Tuckerman. Stayed at Joe Dodge Lodge at the Pinkam Notch site. Recommend the lodge & EXcellent family style meals.

Glen Ellis waterfall is just down the road. Also look for Arethusa falls, NH highest less then a hour away.

Lorraine, as mentioned, be sure to pick up an AMC guide. You'll find there are just too many places to mention them all. The "Notch" areas (Crawford, Pinkham, Franconia) have some of the best scenes and access to the higher elevations. The Presidentials and Framconia Ranges have some of the nicest expansive views, but are also some of the busiest. There are many more hikes not so crowded. Feel free to stop by my gallery if you like for some suggestions, White Mountian Photography, just North of N. Conway village on Rte 16. Bring your bug dope if it's the latter part of May.

Regards, Dana Clemons / <a href="http://www.whitemountainphoto.com">www.whitemountainphoto.com</a>

Dan, maybe you weren't aware, but Mt Washington is over 6000', and many over 4000', and because you actually have to start hiking at sea level or slightly above, the verticle gain that day can be 5000 verticle feet of hiking...much higher than many mountains in the country, plus the hiking is some of the steepest. Also, the weather in the Presidential Range rivals some of the worst weather in the world. Hiking teams often come here to simulate what kind of elements they are apt to come across hiking in the Himalayas. Come for a day of hiking with us up Mt. Washington, and when we're done, you can tell us what a mild "hill" it was.

Dana/<a href="http://www.whitemountainphoto.com">www.whitemountainphoto.com</a>

I just came back from Point Reyes. The last day I was there I did 2/3 of the "hike" to

Tomales Point, the far nw end of the Nat'l Seashore there. It was described to me (by

a slender late 50's transplant who spent the day before with a tripod and scope

counting harbor seals) as "brutal".

I'm 62, short and germanically stocky, perhaps even rather overweight, and not in

very good shape.

6 miles with camera, two lenses and tripod in 4 hours. 6 miles of ranch road with

only 400 feet elevation gain.

"Brutal"?

She ought to try Katahdin!

I've bagged nearly 3/4 of the White's 4000 footers in my youth. I doubt I'll finish

them. Those damn granite boulders are really rough. Dropping my 195 pounds on

those on a descent is no picnic, even though my knees are holding steady under the

burden.

So hike the Whites before you speak about whether they're mountains or not.

As for the initial query - the White Mountain Guide, published by the Appalachian

Mountain Club - is a complete guidebook. You could spend 5 years making your way

through it, bagging 4000 footers, skiing the Tuck, camping where you're permitted,

and being eaten by black flies in May and June, mosquitoes all summer long. Once

you get the book, check out staying in the hut system and study the maps. There are

views, flowers, water, silence, noise, tourists, AT through jocks - you name it. But I

suggest you pick one area, like Crawford's, or Franconia, and spend your time there

because you can't do it all in less than a couple of summers. And make your final

decision about what you'll do when you see the weather. No use trying for views

when it's raining. Go up the Pemi instead, stay don't low and shoot watercascades,

water falls and deep woods.