Help with 35mm Summicron

I need a 35mm lens urgently. Could you please advise whether the

Summicron pre Asph is adequate or should I purchase the Asph ersion.

I damaged my 50 cron beyond reasonble repair and have decided to

replace with the 35mm. I have just used a borrowed 50 cron DR and it

proved to be a dog when ANY amount of backlight appeared in the

image (flaring and halos everywhere). So help with the 35 question

please and if anyone has something for sale please let me know.

Many thanks.

The short answer:

People pictures, pre-ASPH. People pictures at wide apertures, and you want a lovely, soft background, use pre-ASPH here too.

Landscapes, architecture, use the ASPH. Pictures needing full sharpness at full aperture, use the ASPH again.

The long answer: there are probably four dozen threads about this in the archives.

Rob, thanks for your answer. I'm really not bothered about the light falloff and sharpness as I will use mainly for people. I am concerned very much about flare control. I shoot a lot of images backlit. How does the pre asph handle flare? I would really like to not have to buy the latest and greatest, I'm just not that way inclined but I need what I need. Thanks again.

I had a D.R. Summicron for a few years and never had a problem with it. Like all first generation Summicrons it wasn't as contrasty as the later models and it was HEAVY in that chromed brass mount. I swapped mine for the much lighter second generation which had the additional advantage of focusing to .7 meters without an adapter. The original Summicrons were supposedly designed to be 51.9mm focal length, but since there was some variation several differently cammed mounts were made to assure that they would all focus properly with the rangefinder. This was impractical to do with the dual range model so the lenses for the D.R. mount were chosen very carefully to be EXACTLY 51.9 mm in focal length.

With many of Leitz's 50mm lenses a slight cam is ground into the ring that contacts the roller in the body to correct for exact focal length of that particular lens while using a standard cam focussing mount.

Strange, I never had a flare problem with my DR, unlike my thin 90 TE.

Al, I'm sure you know the DR focuses to 0.5 m, which is the main reason I prefer it to a normal Summicron at 0.7. I shoot baby/children pictures a lot, to get their entire face to fill the frame at 0.7 m is not easy...

Consider also the VC Pancake II if you don't mind losing 2/3 stop of speed. A nice lens optically and mechanically (lovely brass barrel) for a reasonable price and very compact to boot. Very sharp and very resistant to flare; at least as good as the pre-asph 'cron and probably better.

The Asph 'cron is the best optic (incredibly sharp at all apertures, high contrast, and nearly flare-proof), but probably not quite as nice mechanically as the Pancake (anodized aluminum barrel), and relatively bulky, much more bulky than the pre-asph. Still my favorite 35, though.

50 DR: yes, mine cleaned by Sherry, and it flares like crazy, but hey, that is what they call

"tone", is it? Sharp, very sharp. When not shot under backlight, it has a very attractive

powerdered look to it. The print picture can be very smooth, although it is too sharp for

Provia, perhaps Astia/Kodak might suit it better. Quality construction, heavy.

35/2 pre asph: mine has nice dampened focus ring, whereas my asph version's is quite

light by comparision, not very good for precise focusing. You have the choice of sharp and

unsharp picture. (unsharp at F2)

35/2 asph: sharp throughout, no choice, heavier than pre asph one.

35/2.8 VC: a better alternative to 35 pre asph, planning to get one soon.

35/1.4 asph: reputedly to be sharper than 35/2 asph, expensive, the 35/1.2 VC is a new

contender, I have neither.

35/2.8 Summaron: unsung hero, rated to have better performance than summicron 35/2

(8 elements) at similar aperature by Erwin Puts. Half of the costs than the 8 elements one,

which has acquired a cult status for no obvious reason. I like this lens, it has a suppleness

that modern sharp lens lacks, and at the same time, it is still sharp. Neglected by Leica

newbie, get one when you can.

nice sure if the pre-asph has better bokeh:

http://www.jimarnold.org/galleries/leica_35_test/

see also nemeg's site for further comment.

In the end you have to see for yourself. Even Erwin Puts in his book says that pre-asph's

reputation as bokeh king might not be a justifed claim. But in Leica land, myth abounds.

You need IT to buy your next lens.