Upgrading or trading in help?

anner

I purchased a Canon Rebel Ti not too long ago to get a feel for what a Canon was like and

it's ability. Now I'm finding that I'd like just a little more weight in my hand and something

with a few more manual features. What could I trade this in for in the Canon category that

would be a step up and not put me out too much more money? I was considering an Elan

series.. but which one? I can't quite afford the digital yet. Thank you for your responses!

Not sure what more "Manual Features" your talking about...

It has a manual mode on it..There are more automatic features

in the other cameras. You could also get the battery grip which

adds weight/size and allows you to use AA batteries and gives you a

nice vertical grip and a shutter release in the vertical position.

They cost about $40.

An Elan II might be a good step. It's been superseded twice (by the Elan 7, and 7N), so they should be available pretty cheap. It has a bargragh in manual metering mode, you can manually switch between the different metering patterns, and it gives you custom functions (I find CF4 particularly useful). It doesn't have a dedicated DOF button, which might be a dealbreaker for you. Since the Rebel Ti is a quite recent model, I wouldn't be surprised if you could swing a near even trade with someone.

You might want to consider keeping the Rebel Ti to have as a backup body (especially if you do wedding photography). Having two separate bodies allows you to alternate between two different types of film at the same time. Finally, there are times when the lighter weight of the Rebel Ti can be an advantage.

My 7 year old 500N (not sure of the US name) just retired through old age and it suddenly feels strange to have only one camera again. To answer your original question, I like the look of the new 30V (Elan 7N).

I don`t see that you could get much more "manual" control, the M mode and manual focusing you already have, mm, maybe flash exp. compensation plus DOF preview button etc. I think you ought to save money for widening your lens choice. This will certainly have more effect on your results. To get more grip and weight in your hands, try the battery pack (it`s also good cause it lets you use rechargeable batteries). This is exactly the route I went with my EOS 3000. I could afford an EOS 33v (30v wihtout eye control)now, but instead I am getting myself some new glass.