Windows 98 SE, HP 7660, Scanwit 2720S and have 512 RAM and 20GB HD

with 8GB spare. My 8x6 colour prints printed OK but with larger files

PS complained about lack of RAM. I shutdown everything, freed as

memory as I could and also defrag the HD but to no avail. Is there

anything I can do?

Thanks

Rod

Rod

In the PSE setup menu (Options) you can set the amount (%) of the RAM that you want to allow PSE to use - I would try 80%. Also make sure that you have allocated appropriate scratch disc space. Also make sure that you don't have other programmes loading that may use memory. You should have no problem with 512 kB RAM for the size files you are using.

1) See that PS is using a sufficiently large (but not too large) part of your memory (as one poster noted in more detail)

2) Consider a system upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP and increasing the amount of memory in your system. (However, it's a bit hard to give exact remedies when not looking over your shoulder and seeing what you are doing)

Rod... you are running windows 98. You won't be able to do anything until you upgrade to 2k or XP. Windows 98 cannot manage anything over 128 MB of ram.

You could stick 2 Gig in there, but could only actually USE 128MB.

Format your HD, load XP pro, and you will have no problems with the 512 you already have.

Re <I>Windows 98 cannot manage anything over 128 MB of ram</i><BR><BR>Where did this myth start?<BR><BR>Here I have 18 computers; most are win2000 or win98se; several are DOS; two are NT3.51; couple are NT4.0. <BR><BR>NT based OS handles memory better; less memory leaks. Here our win98SE boxes have 256; 512; or 768megs of ram. Going above 512 with Win98SE is where a few of my boxes get weird; not at 128megs. <BR><BR>In EVERY win98 or later win98SE; going above 128megs helped radically with photoshop. This comment is based on many years; and using over a dozen win98/se boxes. <BR><BR>Photoshop when installed defaults to a 50 percent ram setting. One resets the number higher; and then restarts photoshop; for the setting to actually be real. Here I use PS 3.0 to CS/8. <BR><BR>With a pure photoshop box; memory problems are way less than a mulipurpose box in win 98. Add an evil mix of watching movies; being on Photo.net; scanning an image; running Kazaa :); and ones win98 machine is going to get locked memory. A CPU with more L2 cache helps when mutlitasking. Our old 200Mhz PPros with 1024K L2 cache can be on Photo.net; and do scanning; and even having a movie playing; with 512megs of ram; and win98SE. <BR><BR>If you have a second logical drive; you can dual boot; and add win2000. Thus adds robustness. One must locate new drivers sometimes.<BR><BR>With my win98se boxes; we handle 40 to 50 meg files with 256megs of ram. With 512 megs; a 100meg file with no layers works well.

I've now tried setting P Elements to 80%. I also use a utility to free memory with 98 SE. My system is just so slow with even 6x4 prints. I'm getting so frustrated now not being able to use my printer. Any help please as I've searched the web for answers!

Many thanks

Rod