What Flash for Nikon F100?

stan_blevins

Of the current Nikon flashes, the SB800. On a film body, the old SB-28 will work about as well, though it lacks the nice metal foot and quick-release lever that's on the newer flash. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up a used SB-28 from someone who went digital. Of course if you have any plans at all to get a digital body in the future it's worth getting the SB800.

Ditto on the SB-28, used they're about half the price of an SB-800. If you're not planning on a DSLR in the near future I wouldn't buy a flash for one. In only a couple of years we've gone from TTL to D-TTL to i-TTL, and there's always been a nice expensive new flash to go with it. SB28 + F100 is a great combination.

I bought my F100 & SB-28 at the same time, so it's the only flash I have been using with my F100. By my own experience (about its performance), I can guarantee you that SB-28 is the Right "Companion" for your F100.

Unfortunately, there are only used units in the market right now, which make a Buy like that very risky, as you don't know how the former owner was treating it.

The SB-800 is no doubt a fine flash, but not everybody has $320+ to spend on a flash. It hardly makes economic sense to spring for the lastest and greatest if all you really need is a flash for the film camera you have NOW. The SB-28 is readily available used from reputable retailers in EX+ condition for 1/2 the cost of a SB-800. Not EVERYONE is switching to digital in the next year or two.

Mike

any flash that have a lot of power ... like metz 70mz-4/5 or quantum, and learn how to use your flash manually is the key. TTL and Dttl and ittl is a bunch of crap that you don't need to pay extra for. I had purchase Nikon 80d & sb800 and never use their TTL stuff. I end up wanting more power then the 80 and 800, which is Metz 70mz-5, and my 80and 800 go into ebay.

I don't use TTL and 100% manual all the way. If you ask all pro-wedding, etc, they only use manual flash. SO LEARN YOUR FLASH GUIDE # WELL and practice w/ it.

Kelvin, there you have a lot of absolutes. One way to do everything, always, eh? Doesn't seem like photography is very creative.

You can do with one flash only, it's a question of how you direct the light to your subject from the flash. And TTL is very good with reflectors and diffusers, where the GN "rule" wouldn't work at least as it is.

I wouldn't pay a penny on a non-DSLR compatible flash today. Why buy something you won't be using a few years off?