I am looking for a wide-angle lens (20 or 24 mm) for a Canon

EOS 2000. I am not in a position to afford a Canon lens,

unfortunately. I am an amateur, and I mostly take pictures during

my backpacking trips. In your opinion, is there an off-brand lens

that will give me the best quality for the money? And, as long as

we are on the subject, how about a 50mm prime? Would a

cheaper one still be better that a 28-80 zoom? I would greatly

appreciate your advice.

I'm not too sure about the quality of third-party wideangle lenses (or even Canon's because I use a Nikkor 24mm...but I'm 100% sure Canon's are top notch). But about the 50mm prime...it is *definitely* much much much better than the 28-80 zoom that comes with the Rebel 2000 kit. The 50mm 1.8 should cost around $85 or so, and is a *very* sharp lens. With proper technique, the difference is clearly noticable.

The Sigma 24/2.8 has always had a good reputation among 3rd-party wideangles. I have an early version from the 1980s, and I believe that they've improved it once or twice since then. The build quality on mine is a bit light, but it is optically quite comparable to 24/2.8's from the major manufacturers of the same era.

24mm is a focal length I like for landscapes when I have an elevated vantage point (to avoid the problem of "too much foreground"), or for near/far compositions, or for some environmental portraits when I want a really "wide look."

20mm is a bit more limiting. I like it for really cramped interiors, or for photographing an entire room from the corner, or for photographing a group of people seated around a table, or for even more extreme near/far compositions.

Yes, the Sigma 24 is as good as you can get in a third party, wide angle prime. The autofocus is a bit noisy and slow, but for your purposes, that should make litte difference. The image quality and sharpness are nery good. Also pick up a Canon 50 1.8. They are cheap and will be much better that the 28-80. Both will cost you no more than US$200. You'll also get a better deal used.

I would strongly consider trying to find a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 in good condition on the second-hand market. It will offer superb sharpness, and it will hold its value (as a used item) far better than any new third party lens.

The entry level 50mm prime lens is possibly the best kept secret in photograpy!

For a discussion of the benefits of using this lens vs. a slower zoom, see my article at http://www.vothphoto.com/spotlight/articles/forgotten-lens.htm

Good luck.

I use a Sigma 18/3.5 prime, and whilst it isn't in the L-lens league, it is generally very good when stopped down beyond f5.6. You should be able to find one of these lenses easily enough, and it should outperform the 20-35USM, although I'd expect the 17-35 and 16-35 to be significantly better than it.

John

Everybody - thank you very much for your advice! I am glad I have

this chance to consult you. Please let me know if you have any

questions about biology :-)

Now, since I live in a small town, I'll have to look for these lenses

on the Internet. Can you suggest good sites for used

equipment? (Other than Ebay)?

Thanks a lot!

Both Adorama and B&H have used equipment on their websites.

I like the Canon EF 24/2.8 lens as a good prime wide angle. A 24mm has been my favorite wide angle focal length even before getting into the Canon system. Prices have dropped on several Canon lenses recently on the B&H website. The EF 50/1.8 II is now selling for $75 for the USA model. It has surprisingly good optics, considering the price and the lightweight build quality.

Art, since you haven't answered my earlier questions, at least I need to make some assumptions.

If you don't have any other wide-angle lenses, a very large majority of us agree that the 24mm is a good way to start. (BTW, it is very unusual that we have that kind of agreement on any topic :-).) The 20mm is on the more extreme side; IMO it would make sense if, for example, you already have a 28mm or a zoom that includes 28mm. IMO the 20-35mm zoom is an even better choice but I suspect that may be over your budget.

A 24mm Canon lens is not THAT expensive. IMO you are much better off buying a camera-manufacturer lens. If you really cannot afford it new, try used. There is a very good classified section right here on photo.net. Obviously some people have good experience with 3rd-party lenses, but I have heard enough horror stories such as build quality and incompatibility with newer bodies. And as Gary points out, camera-brand lenses hold their resale value much better.

Thanks everybody!

The two lenses I carry on my backpacking trips are the 28-80

zoom (crappy) and the Vivitar 100mm macro (surprisingly good; I

use it on manual).

As for the 24mm, people seem to have very different opinions

about the Sigma 24/ 2.8 macro - some love it, others complain

about the autofocus (which I would rarely use anyway on a

24mm), but everyone seems to agree the optics are good. I saw

one for $140, and I am tempted.

A used 24mm Canon seems to be hard to find, and new one is

out of my range (I am not good enough for it!)

Thanks!

Art- check out KEH.com. Probably the best used dealer on the web. You can save alot buying used and risk is low when you buy from a reputable dealer. Also don't disregard e-bay. There are some good deals and sometimes dealers will unload new sigma 24s for cheap. It is also a good place to check market value. You might even find a good deal on the Canon. Enjoy.

A hiking biologist hey (like there is any other kind ;o))- maybe you should test your equipment while hiking up to the Burgess Shale.

• 2 weeks later...

KEH.com may be great guys, but I'm not impressed with the used equipment discount. I just bought a Canon EF 100mm f2.0 (gray market) at Adorama for $365. KEH prices range from $330 to $365. for that little of difference, I'll buy brand new. Granted the KEH lenses might be USA, but the mfr's warranty doesn't come with them, so it's moot point.

Thats not just KEH, but all of those stores. I checked out used from others shops as well, and for the 10% difference, I'd rather have a warranty and the satisfaction of a brand new piece of glass.

As a bonus (unrelated to the discussion), Adorama was out of stock on the gray market so they "upgraded" me to USA for no additional cost. That lens was listed as $430.

I bought a used Canon EF 24/2.8 at B&H (I think for about US$230) and I love it. I also got the Canon EF 50/1.8 at the same time. I've never looked back! Once I get around to purchasing an 85mm or 100mm prime I will never use my 28-80mm zoom again (not that I use it very much now). If you can afford a Canon 24/2.8 then get it, you won't regret it.