Tuxedo for Photographer- IN or OUT?

I have shot several weddings successfully with the "PJ Nija look": black silk shirt, black slacks, black photo vest and black soft sole/soft heel dress shoes. (Never sneakers unless it is an outdoor wedding. To me, shoes can say as much about professionalism - or lack thereof - as any other part of your attire.)

Just last weekend, however, I learned at the last minute that the wedding would be co-officiated by the local bishop. Being the proud product of 10 years of Catholic schools (tie every day!) I decided to try adding a tie to the ensemble. To avoid "interference" while I worked, I tucked most of the thing inside one of the buttons of the shirt, so only the knot and a short amount of it showed. Very few people may have noticed, but I avoided any sense of feeling underdressed.

I own a couple of tuxes for social occasions, but personally can't imagine shooting with a tux jacket on. And wearing only tux pants and a bow tie, I guarantee I'd feel like a waiter.

I used to always wear a nice white shirt,tie, and nice dark pants. However, I found that a tie would get in my way a lot, so this year I decided to drop the tie. Instead, I've been wearing a nice black dress shirt (usually short sleeved in the hot summer months, but long sleeved for cooler weather), no tie, and black dress pants. There's been a few times I have worn a tie if I felt that the wedding was extremely formal, and thus demanded a little more formal attire. However, I think that most of the time a tie is not necessary. I have found that it's really nice not to have to worry about a tie getting in the way of my gear, and thus slowing me down. (I always carry two cameras around my neck, and I also carry a light meter).

Just recently, I met with a bride and her mom, and the mother remarked that she didn't even know I was there, as I was very unobtrusive, yet I was able to get all the right shots. As a wedding photographer who shoots in a primarily photojournalistic style, that's one of the greatest compliments people can give me. By the way, at that wedding I wore all black and no tie.

I guess if you really feel like wearing a tux would make you look better, or do better work, then maybe you should try wearing one.

However, I have found that I just get way too hot when I wear a jacket, and a tie just gets in my way, which restricts my creativity.

So, for me, wearing black helps me to be more invisible, and yet I still look appropriately dressed (i.e., professionally dressed). I look like a guest, and can then blend in better.

Maybe you should try both styles of dress, and then make an evaluation.

Last fall I had an outdoor engagement portrait session at a lake near Seattle. I noticed there was a wedding going on nearby. So, after my session was over, I went back and watched this other photographer work. He did a really good job with the formal portraits - the bride and groom, bridal party and family shots. I noticed he was wearing all black - black dress shirt and black dress pants.

Finally, after watching him for about a half an hour, I realized he wasn't wearing a tie. However, nobody could accuse him of being underdressed, or not dressing professionally. After seeing him, I decided to try dressing just like that.

I must say that I've found it to be perfect for the weddings I shoot, and my clients like it as well.

• 1 month later...

Dressy trousers in black or pinstiped (whatevers in) in cold

months a nice well made sweater and maybe a brooch (so it

looks like you put a bit more effort into it) or a nice... again "well

made" button up shirt in black with nice black shoes. These are

all things that you can wear elsewhere, but I really think its

important to wear things that are fitted correctly and are made of

good fabrics, Brides do notice and notice the difference between

walmart and kenneth cole. I would look like such a dork in a tux.

LOL

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...