Hats off to our West Coast forum members.

fotografz

Just back in from shooting a Sunday wedding just outside of LA. I must say, what beautiful

scenery you west coasters have to work with.

It was clear as a bell (which I know is not always the case), at a public golf course that

rivals some of the better private clubs. Right on the ocean. WOW. The lighting was exactly

what I had feared, super bright and contrasy with the ceremony at 1PM. 95 degrees and

zero shade on an all white overlook where the ceremony was held (except, under the

gazebo where the B&G were).

Since I've shot in California before, I opted for film which is more expensive for me and a

lot of scanning to do. But I just didn't want to fight the contrast with digital capture. Fuji

400 NPH for MF work, and some Portra 160NC for 35mm Canon stuff. I used T-Max 400

CN in the Leica's. All the film and proofs are processed and just a few of the formals look

to be troublesome due to incredible contrast between the shaded areas and the

background. A lot less PS work than similar conditions with digital in my experience.

Anyway, hope I get to shoot out there again. Beautiful. I'll post a link later on when I get

the scans done, in the meantime here's one from my " California Dreamin' " shoot...<div>009PeP-19527484.jpg.5c2282df86b4b30f48798baf692b7f40.jpg</div>

congratulations on one more beatiful picture.

I did read your post last were you mention going to LA and Also that you were only taken filma based equipment.then I also remenber you taking about maybe going back to film, are You?

"But I did not want to fight the contrast with digital capture"

?? ... could you elaborate on this.

I can not wait to see your pictures.

Do you think that you could had taken this picture with a digital cmaera(the above posted) and if so what lens?

Thank you

Great shot Marc. Must have been nice to have such good stuff to work with! Are the colors in that shot jazzed up at all in PS? I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with NPH lately - the colors are coming out lifeless, pasty, and blah. I'm trying to figure out if it's my lab or if I've grown too used to the punchier Reala/NPS.

Thanks all.

Yes Rodolfo, I could've shot this with a digital camera. But experience has taught me that

it would require underexposing most of the high contrast shots and therefore require

more steps in PhotoShop to adjust them. While scanning does take time, I only have to

scan 40 images and tweak them, as opposed to correcting 400 RAW shots, half of which

would involve the extra steps to correct the underexposures ... which, BTW, are difficult to

write a universal PS action for.

Steve, the lab scans just don't cut it, or they're too pricey per shot. I'd just get regular

prints made before paying for scans, and then tweaking them, and then printing them.

Good argument for good old analog prints ; -)

William, I don't use much Fuji NPH 400, but it seemed pretty good on the proofs from the

lab. I do punch up flat colors when scanning and tweaking in PS. In this case not much was

needed.

William, I use NPH as my 'general use' color film as I'm usually shooting people and NPH is very forgiving with skin tones. Have your lab scan your negs when they process them (it's cheap!) and then you can play around with the digital file to punch up the color, if you like. It still won't be as smooth as Reala or Portra UC, but you can alter the look a bit.<div>009Pxo-19535584.jpg.e21d01d387785db20a71b680c491b9ae.jpg</div>

Sorry, William, I should have mentioned that the 'cheap' scans I'm talking about are small files (1500 pixels on the horizontal, I believe) and are only good for small prints, or use on the web, which is what this shot will be used for.

Ask you lab, though, and see what they're doing.

I live 2 houres away from there.And alot of peopple are moving to Bakersfield(small town north of LA )and were getting lots of rude drivers that are always in a hurry,and so inmpatient,when you signal they will not give you the right away and drive pretty fast.Kind of unsuall for peopple from here considering that takes you 20 minutes to cross town from side to side.

Marck were are so lucky to have you here in Photo.net Thank you for being so kind and generous.I am sure I would became a millionare If I were to make a book of a coopilation of all your suggestions.

I hear you C JO. The film, processing and proofs for this wedding was over $500. And I'm

finding that it is taking me almost as much time to scan 40 to 50 prints high resolution as

it does to correct 4 times that many digital images... and my film scanner is pretty fast.