mainly portrait work and have started weddings. I own a 20D. Money IS

an issue with me as I do not have a whole lot of investment $$. After

all my reading, I have narrowed it down to these 3:

Tamaron 28-75 f2.8

50Mmm f1.8

Lens kit 18-55

Also will be including is the 420EX flash, maybe a bracket and

diffuser. I do have a back up camera, not ideal, but all I have at

the moment, a Minolta A2 with 5600 flash unit.

Will these lenses work for my purposes? Is the Tamaron necesarry at

this time, or can I do with the other 2. I want to do good quality

work, so if I must get Tamaron, I will.

Thanks so much for your help. I have learned so much on the forum.

It is by far my favorite on the web. I must become partron member

soon!

The Tamron is a great lens and it would cover your behind if you damage your 50mm. You're kit looks good to me, though I might grab a faster prime, like the 35mm f2(or wider)in place of the 18-55.

You'll want a bracket for wedding photography, IMO. It'll drop the shadows behind your subject for verticals and look much nicer. I started with the Stroboframe Quickflip, it's cheap and light. Keep in mind, you'll need a connecting cord to join the flash and camera.

Suzanne, definitely get a flash bracket and difussor. There are a lot of threads in this forum on that topic, very informative. Anyone know how well the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 zoom compares to the Tamron? I know there have been some other posts on this in here somewhere, but I too am looking for something to use instead of forking out for L glass at this time (film and digital).

I would sell the Minolta and flash and get the cheapest canon film body and another canon flash...maybe the 550ex if you can afford it.

Then you're good to go.

Use the 20d as the main camera using the 28-75 or kit lens (although i'm not so sure about the quality of the kit lens). Then load the back up film camera with good ol' B&W film or whatever else you like.

This way you have a nice system where if you do need to use back up it wouldn't be as difficult as everything is from Canon.

Thanks so much guys. I had thought about a Zoom lens. Can I do without the Tamaron if I get a zoon lens? What about the Canon Zoom Normal-Telephoto EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM II Autofocus Lens? I can do more research on that one on the site. So that would leave me with the 50mm 1.8, the lens kit (which I know is not that great), and the Canon Zoom listed above? As I mentioned, I am afraid money is an issue here, so gotta keep a tight budget. :)

Suzanne, I don't think the 55-200 would work very well for you. It is not rated very highly, and is too slow at the telephoto end to be of much use.

The Tamron has many satisfied users, but if you plan to use it with flash most of the time, you won't need the speed. I highly recommend the marvelous little Canon 24-85.

This is a sweet lens and a real sleeper. I was advised to get one by Patrick Murphey-Racey, who is no slouch. http://www.pmrphoto.com/main.html

As a long-time Sports Illustrated contract photographer as well as a much-in-demand corporate and wedding photographer, Pat owns more L glass than some of us have ever seen. Yet he calls the 24-85 his money lens because he makes more money with it than any other lens in his very extensive kit. I've been using mine since July and am delighted with it.

Also, I'm afraid the 420EX might be a bit short on power for professional work. Get the 580EX if you can, but if not, go for at least the 550. There are quite a few good ones on the used market right now in the $250-$275 range because many pros have upgraded to the 580.

Thanks Dave for your time! I just soak up everything I learn in this forum and hope I can put it to good use. I just can't wait to get out there and do it! (My first "official" wedding is in April.) Thanks again for the tips. I will certainly look into the Canon 24-85. It has the price I am looking for too! And thanks for the tip on the flash too! That is one I have been debating over.

Thanks again,

Suzanne

If you're going to see in the dark at a reception or in a dim church, you want faster lenses. Faster meaning f1.4 to f2.8--lenses that will open wide and let more light in so you can see, so the camera can pick up more ambient light and so you have more creative options. Do not even think about relying on a slow zoom like f4.5 for wedding work--it'll only hold you back. Believe me, I tried it when I started out! You can hardly see through a lens in the dark at f4.5--waste of money.

I now have 2 20D bodies each with the "kit" lens. For the price I guess they are not bad lenses. I also have the Canon 28-70 f:2.8 L lens and it is incredible. Speed of focusing is instant and dead quiet. Also extremely sharp. Well worth the money if you can afford it. Of course it has been replaced by the 24-70 but I'm sure the quality is the same.

Brad

I would second the idea of selling your Minolta + flash and get A conon a2 (read the manual a lot before using it at someones wedding)+ 420ex + 50/1.8 as replacements. That will serve you better (IMO) and leave you some cash for lens choices.

Then get the Tamron, it is a lens one of my assistants has used a lot and it produces some excellent results (be prepared to exchange it for a copy that gets sharp shots @ f2.8, as some of then have softness wide open, not terrible but not great).

I also would get the bracket and a stofen omnibounce.

Stay away from the consumer zooms, they are only good for slower more general photography. Weddings need speedy glass (IMO).

A 35/2 will be better for you than the kit lens.

Also, CF cards. Get at least 4+ gigs (erwincomputers.com has 4gig ultra II for about $340) and shoot RAW if you have even a slight concern for good exposure. Digital is less forgiving than film, in the experience I,ve had.

You should (IMO) get some software that you can edit with. Paint shop pro's latest release is very good for the money ($90) and converts raw data from your camera. If it had a couple more pro features I would use it in preference to PS CS.

Visit this forum often and get lots of feedback from a group of well experienced shooters and some very well qualified (to my eye) artists.

Best of luck, and lets see some stuff you do :-)