D70 and SB28?

Does anyone know if the Nikon SB28 flash will work OK on the new

Nikon D70 DSLR? I'm starting to zero in on the D70 as my first

serious digital camera, but I would hate to have to spend another

$300 for a new flash. I already have the SB28, which I use with my

Nikon N70 film camera. I did a search here and didn't see a previous

answer.

You could save another $300 by buying a good Nikon F100 body and your SB-28 speedlight will work just fine with it.

Nikon upgraded the speedlight for the D70 and if you expect good results from your new digital camera, you can expect to pay for a I-TTL (or whatever it is named) speedlight: $300 is good for Nikon.

I use my SB28 with my D70 all the time these days and it works great. Just use it in A mode and be sure to match up the apertures between what you set on the flash and the camera (I work in Aperture Priority). f 5.6 at ISO 400 works very nicely for parties and such things. Those who say it won't work may not have been around prior to the advent of TTL dedicated flash systems (early 80s). In the old days the FM and the Vivitar 283 was a fine setup that made many excellent pictures possible. The only drawback is that this is not as automatic as putting the camera on Program and setting a TTL flash on top set to TTL and letting the camera do everything. There really isn't much to using auto flash.

Yes, as others have said, set your SB-28 to Auto or Manual mode. I find that if I have the time, and I set the SB-28 to match the camera aperture, I get very consistent results. If you need to shoot people who have a tendency to blink, then you may even find the SB-28 better than the SB-800 (the timing of the pre-flashes from the SB-800 when shooting i-TTL mode can induce blinking).

As said, it works fine in A-mode (also in M-mode of course). 'Only' drawback is you have to set ISO and Aperture on the flash to get the correct distance range indication. Your subject must be within the distance indicated. If you set the camera to Manual, you can control flash exposure with your Aperture setting and the background exposure with exposure time setting. Full control!

Matteo Del Grosso

• 1 year later...
I am using the SB-28 with a D50 and would like to know if any of the flash settings on the camera do anything, when you use this flash in A and M modes. I've come to the conclusion that they probably do nothing, since the flash settings and sensors are probably doing all the adjustments. Is this true?