Loupes and lightboxes

lovethismoment

I'm looking at finally getting a good quality loupe. After a little

investigation the Mamiya loupes look to be a good deal with good

reviews and a good price, particularly given B&H has them on special

at the moment. A couple of questions though for anyone that's used

them.

1. Is the 8x loupe full frame? I did see one response from someone

saying it was, but I was under the impression it wasn't.

2. Is there a difference in quality between the 8x and 5x?

I'm having a look at lightboxes too. I was thinking of the Cabin 8 x

10" Light Panel as it also seems to be good value. Does anyone have

any comments on it?

Thanks!

First off, it makes a difference what size slides or negs you're looking at. The 8x and

5x are the magnification factors. An 8x blow up from a 35 neg will not be as large as

from a 4x5 neg.

For editorial stuff I use an 8x and a 4x most often, and occasionaly a 15x, but that is

just for checking sharpness and details. I use the 8x for 35mm stuff and it's full

frame for that. If it's tack sharp with an 8x, is good enough for a full page shot. The

4x I have gives me near full frame on my 6x6 medium format images, and with that

mag. factor it's about a page blow up again. If I want to go beyond that I check details

with an 8x. The 15x I use for details on 35mm that will be spreads or above for the

most part. If you're shooting 35mm I'd suggest a good 8x loupe. Don't skimp on a

loupe. When I worked as an editor at a magazine you could always tell the

contributors that weren't checking their work with proper loupes prior to submitting.

A good loupe will last you forever too. For the 8x I use a Peak. I'm not sure off hand

what my others are.

I have two Mamiya loupes, a 4x for 35m and a 3.5x for 6x6, which have ample magnification for editing slides and negatives. The optical and mechanical quality is excellent. I had the opportunity to compare the Mamiya and Schneider loupes side-by-side. Although the Schneider may have a slight edge optically, the contruction and handling of the Mamiya is better (IMO). The Mamiya loupes come with an opaque skirt for transparencies and translucent skirt for prints and general use.

A flat-panel light table is very convenient. I have a 6x8 Visual Plus, but the Cabin looks good too. An 8x10 panel is still very portable. The Visual Plus is AC or Battery operated.

I would have no problem with a 5x loupe, but an 8x is overkill - too much tree, not enough forest. If I want to see grain, I have a 10x Hastings triplet and a 25x microscope, neither of which is useful except for fussy detail.

Thanks for your responses. Sorry, forgot to say it's for 35mm...too carried away with the products!

I asked about the difference in quality between the Mamiya 8x and 5x because I saw a thread where someone said they had the Mamiya 5x, thought it was fantastic, then got the Mamiya 8x and were disappointed in comparison.