First wedding feedback ...

nikonboy

Here is another version of this photo with fill flash used ...

1/90th @ f11

Do you like this one better? The first photo was taken after this one, when the couple wasn't really paying attention to me ... I like the emtion better in the first.<div>0097AP-19123784.jpg.ee81e1a9c95e227a0e3e1c82d6c06c44.jpg</div>

The little kid's shots,you need to get down lower with the camera.You need to learn how to pose a large bride too!Never shoot "any" bride straight at the camera,with a left & right shoulder!Always pose people with a front & back shoulder,this tends to be more slimming.Never place a large bride in front of the groom!Your posing makes her look twice his size!Some of your candid's & B&W's are okay,but you need to seriously study posing techniques before your next time "out of the barn".

I like the first one, but your clients will probably pick a more traditional shot of themselves to enlarge.

You did fine for a first wedding. Yes, posing is not according to the standard "wedding posing guidelines", but sometimes, this can be refreshing, especially in photos with the PJ slant. I've found that heavier women are one of two types--either they hate being photographed and have a very distorted view of themselves, or they are completely fine with it. Seems this bride is the latter, which is good, because brides with the other body view can be quite troublesome--not always but sometimes.

The other thing is--watch the dreaded "ankle chop"--as in the processional photo.

Pretty darn decent first wedding. Sure, there are a lot of details you should pay heed to

which have been pointed out already. But the most important thing is that you caught the

personalities of these two happy people. That alone can overcome a host of little errors.

Square away the craftsmen stuff (which I'm sure you'll do), while retaining your human

touch, and you are well on your way IMO. Best of luck.

Thanks all for the replies and comments ... keep them coming.

The B&G are tickled pink with the photos and I gained lots of experience. Just looking over the proofs there are a ton of things that I will do different next time, but there are also a bunch of things that I will do the same!

Marc & Nadine thanks for the feedback ... I have great respect for both your opinions.

The reason I posted was to have more experienced eyes look at the work in order to help me get better.

It's funny how opinions can differ. I just wanted to say I love the shots of the kids. Yes they're shot from above but that's probably how the bride and groom saw them most of the time, they look creative that way and are nicely cropped and nice emotions caught.

Tomato,tomatoe.The rule of perspective doesnt get tossed,because the subject is a child.People always look best when the film plane is parallel to their spines,and between belt & chest high.As for posing a wide bride,and making her appear wider,there isnt much call for this particular talent.The shot of them in the corn field,would look 100% better had he stood in front of her(instead of her in front of him),and they both need to be at an angle to the lens.This is people shooting 101,and has nothing to do with anyone's style of shooting.Flattering the client,not fattening them,is our job.The shot of them among the columns for example,would look 100% better if she were in the distance,not he.This stuff isnt hard to learn,but you have to pay attention to the fact that people & the world is 3D,paper prints are 2D.It is very easy to make even a slim bride look like a linebacker,if you shoot her straight on,from a low angle.

Steve,

To be honest this bride has no issue with her size and the bigger worry for me during the day was how not to get the grooms hands in the photo (he has almost no fingers and did not want them in the photos). I actually shot a series of photos of them in the corn field and I do have a few of them from different perspectives, but the first photo I posted captured better emotion then any of the others. That is why the B&G like that one.

Also, I really don't see the point of placing a groom in front of a bride ... a wedding is about the women in the white dress. The bride is the center of attention.

As for getting down at the child?s level I can see how that works at certain times, but the photo of the two ring bearers was a fleeting moment that would have disappeared had I got down at their level. Besides I think it adds to the picture when you see them from what would be a normal perspective for most adults.

""I really don't see the point of placing a groom in front of a bride"".The person that is nearest the lens,will always look larger.The eye is drawn to the brightest part of a scene.A woman in a white dress that occupies too much of the frame will appear much wider than she actually is.If the bride were farther away,she would appear smaller.This is just a simple fact of photography.I understand this woman is comfortable being plus sized,but your posing is exagerating her size in relation to her husband's size in the frame.Women,as a rule dont like to look enormous in their wedding or other photos.Your technique,is unfortunately doing just that.Missing fingers isnt a big issue,hide his hands behind hers or the boquet.

Since the size subject has continued Jason, it is important to listen to experience speaking.

Steve is pretty on the money when it comes to photographing both children and women of

size.

No one wants to look huge no matter how they act or what they say. It is our job to make

them look the best we can. Every tip he's shared with you is what most pros would

automatically do. In addition, you should study the effect of lens draw on a person. Heavy

people are often better shot from slightly above using a bit of a wide angle. Often heavy

women pay a lot of attention to their faces especially their eyes. Using a little wider lens a

bit higher de-emphasizes their bodies and places attention on their faces with the eyes as

the focal point. You see this in portrait work all the time, and the principle applies here

also.

I really dont think the bride is that "large" and she carries herself

well and looks great, I went to your folder expecting to see the

QE2. Anyway I LOVE the ring bearer shot, at first i felt like I was

straining to look at it,but when I scrolled up with just their faces I

really enjoyed it. I Like your details, it was obvious that you had a

good relationship with the couple, that showed through alot

which makes for great photos!!

I still think sometimes breaking the rules is refreshing, but it is valuable to know the rules first. So do some studying. This is the second time I am recommending Steve Sint's "Wedding Photography: Art, Business and Style". It has a section on basic posing. And next time, do some according to the rules and then do some breaking the rules. That way your clients have a choice. I use the rules when posing traditional shots. When shooting PJ style, I don't tell subjects how to stand, etc. If I direct someone at all, it is just to give them a general direction or suggestion, then I just go with what they do.

Putting the bride behind the groom is a much used method of diminishing the bride's size in relation to the groom. I've used it, and brides have appreciated it. But again, an assessment of the bride's self image will tell you whether you need to idealize her image.

I do like the kids' shots. Again, a refreshingly different view from normal. The kids' parents might like the more idealized view though, so if you're after selling prints, shoot both. When your style has emerged, and clients book you on your "eye", you can shoot any way you want.

I thought the majority of your folder was pretty damn good ,especially for your first time out!I only made my "perspective",suggestions because you asked for comments.In my opinion,what I have suggested isnt obliging some list of rules,but it is common sense,photo 101.For fun sometime,try shooting some people at a variety of angles,from a variety of heights.There are psychological effects that occur in the brain of the viewer,that need to be controlled by the photographer.For example,the first time you cut off a train(in the viewfinder) from a wedding gown,you realize the eye is lead out of the frame!Looking up at a subject,suggests largeness & authority,looking down,suggests smallness and submissiveness.

All,

I do appreciate the feedback and I my no means am dismissing anything that has been stated. I know my posing needs work. As I mentioned I do have another shot from a more flattering perspective, but most people love the intimate moment that the B&G are sharing in the one that I posted. In an ideal situation I would have captured this moment from a better perspective.

Marc, thanks for the tips about the wide angle ... I always thought it was best to shoot larger people with a short telephoto in order to give a slight slimming effect. I will have to give that a try. BTW, lovely photo. Perhaps someday we can hock up over coffee (I work in Detroit).

Steve, thanks for the advice and I do appreciate the feedback. My current shooting style has been to try and get the moment captured rather then a technically prefect shot. I suppose with more practice I will be able to achieve both.

Mary, sorry for breaking the rules.

Nadine & Kimberly thanks for the encouragement and advice.