Hello all,

I need to buy a new base for my FM3a. I can't get it where I am, and

would like to know if there is anywhere I can just walk in and buy

it. Where is the best place? I'd like a new one, with a new battery

cover. I will only be in Toronto for a short while, so I need to

plan (or if necessary order one) now.

Thanks

Have you contacted Nikon Canada?

(You do not mention if your FM3A is 'grey-market' or what, so you may have a problem....the 'freight' to ship a camera body to Japan for service will off-set any grey-market savings at the time of purchase.

Nikon - in the USA - is not good at providing any service on 'grey-market' equipment. Nikon Canada may be as user friendly, too.)

"How would Nikon know there handling a grey market camera? "

Pretty simple actually. Any Nikon division, Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, etc., has the

serial numbers of the equipment that it has imported, all else is "grey maket", unless

one has the original receipt showing that it was purchased outside of that country.

The burden of proof is on the equipment owner, and not on the Nikon division.

Hi G.G.G.,

I'm not sure whether the camera stores keep them or not, but you may want to call them and check. I think the biggest three stores in Toronto are:

www.henrys.ca

www.vistek.ca

www.downtowncamera.com

You can find their address/tel # there. Also, they are located in the same area, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding them. Hope this helps.

Shakil

Since these aren't accessories per se, it's unlikely any Nikon dealer in Toronto would carry them. You'll have to contact Nikon.ca's Parts Dept. They're closed Monday, Aug. 2 for the Civic Holiday. It's difficult to reach Parts directly, so leave a message with them when you arrive re: cost and availability. Since you're buying parts--and not requesting warranty service--your camera's origin shouldn't be an issue(nor would I raise it if it is).If the parts are in stock, it's just a matter of driving up to Nikon.ca on Aerowood Drive(Dixie and Hwy 401 area).If they're not too busy, they'll probably install the new plate and battery cover gratis.

" Since you're buying parts--and not requesting warranty service--your camera's

origin shouldn't be an issue"

Perhaps Nikon Canada has a different attitude, but that definitely would be a problem

with Nikon USA. They check the serial number of some equipment whether or not it is

for warranty work, and they won't touch it if they determine it to be grey market. That

doesn't apply to all Nikon gear, and I don't know if the FM3A is included or not. But

it's definitely worth finding out before hand, so that one doesn't make a wasted trip.

Newer models is where Nikon USA appears to be placing their emphasis, the F5, VR

lenses, and DSLRs are absolutely included.

Guhan just wants parts, Carl--not service.They are quite strict about gray-market products but will offer service to goods bought from "authorized"(i.e., non-gray)vendors outside Canada. Provided things like film doors or base plates are in stock, Nikon.ca will sell them across the counter--no questions asked other than how you intend to pay. The only glitch is that they won't sell parts or accessories direct if the cost > Cdn$100. Guhan should simply try to determine whether they'll sell to him and whether the parts are available.His camera's pedigree probably won't matter at all if parts are all he's after.

"Guhan just wants parts, Carl--not service."

Yes indeed, I understand that. However in your previous post you suggested that

Nikon Canada may actually do a service for him, installing the new part, and that's all

well and good. My point was that Nikon USA would not do that, or even sell parts for

some equipment, if they determine it to be grey market, and it's among the stuff that

have an attitude about. Nikon USA will not sell parts for the F5, for example, even to

B&H. Now I have no clue as to how Nikon Canada operates, they may sell parts for all

equipment without regard to whether or not it's grey merchandise, in their mind. But,

I fail to see why it would not be a good idea to ask them ahead of time if that camera

is among those that is so treated, forewarned is forarmed.

Just go to the counter at Nikon Canada in Mississauga. You might want to call ahead for information on stock; however, I do agree that their parts department does not offer the best customer service.

A black top plate for my FM2N was quoted as $119 CND (!!!) so I would expect a bottom plate to cost about half as much.