Anyone using Elan 7n/7ne for wedding photography?

jesse_de_la_llata

I was wondering if anyone here is using the Elan 7n/ne for wedding

photography. If so, what do you like or dislike about it for this

type of work? I might be photographing a friend's wedding in a

couple of months. I have a 7n with a BP300 battery pack and a 420EX

Speedlite, a 50mm 1.8 II lens, as well as the 28-105 usm lens. In

addition, I'm counting on a second Elan 7e (with the exact same

lenses and flash - my brother is nice enough to let me borrow it)

for back up. What are your thoughts?

I've been reading your posts for the past 4 months, and I've read

many books on the subject. However, your opinions on this equipment

issue are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I use 2 Elan 7Es & an Elan IIE with the 50mm, 28-135 IS, Sigma 28-105 2.8, BP300 & 420ex. It's worked for me thus far. The only thing I plan on changing is upgrading to L lenses in the near future. You can see some examples on the wedding pages of my website - www.merematt.com.

I've used an Elan IIe in the past for 35mm wedding photography with the Canon 28-105. This is the model the Elan 7 replaced. It works fine. The only thing I would say is that the autofocus is not very swift by today's standards, although I'm sure the Elan 7 is faster than the IIe since it has more focus points. I don't know if they've improved the E-TTL, but mine was constantly underexposing and inconsistent with a 380EX and a Metz. And the lens is kinda slow, especially for low light and fast focusing. For instance, I don't know that I would use autofocus for the processional--I'd be afraid the autofocus couldn't keep up with the moving subjects. Maybe with your 50mm, but I'd be dubious with the 28-105.

I've been using my Elan7/Eos33 for a few weddings during the summer and achieved excellent results. I am however not a professional photographer. Most of the time I just take photos to give as a gift to the bride and groom. I also always make it a point not to disturb the professional photographer in any way. Since most of the weddings i go to are in really big halls involving maybe 1000 people i am always on a totally different side from the professional and i always put my camera away whenever the pro comes to take some shots.

So basically my photos are totally different than the pros.

I use only 1 lens. The 28-135 IS...and i can basically get everything in. It won't be as sharp as the L lenses but the IS is really a great thing especially in such low light.

What i use is basically an Elan 7 and 550ex and 420ex. I have the 550ex on a stroboframe on the bracket and the 420ex as a back up or for use as a slave for wireless flash on bigger groups. The metering on the ELan 7 is quite reliable as long as you know how the camera functions. I basically keep using manual(dragging the shutter) indoors and aperture priority outdoors. This has given me very consistent results.

Don't worry about the camera. It'll do its job as long as it is working. Just make sure you have a back up body and a back up flash.

Oh...and don't forget lots of film. I find NPS to be superb if you've got enough light and NPH to be best for less light. For all the weddings i've shot, 400 speed film seems to be able to capture lots of the ambient at a usable shutter speed.

I just bought a G6 just for fun and travelling and if i'm gonna photograph any weddings in the future i'm thinking of using it for table shots or for some group shots. That way i'll save a bit of money on the less valuable shots that the couple don't really care for but sometimes want.

I used a 7ne, and 7e for the wedding I shot. and a 420EX flash, on a bracket, and I switched between a 50 1:1.8, and 35 1:2. My suggestion would be to use the 50mm as much as you can, since the images will be sharper, and the max aperture is great. Just make sure you get a bracket for your flash, I can't stress this enough.<div>009iim-19952284.jpg.fa8832123b44cb514cfcc7381d37af67.jpg</div>