Tripod for bottom shooting with TLR

After using some antiquated tripods, older than the cameras, I want to

buy a new one these days. I use Nikons and TLRs (Rolleiflex and older

Mamiya). I think of the Manfrotto 190 (US: Bogen 3001) or 055 (3021),

because I like the horizontal mounting option for the center column.

The 190 is a lightweight model, witch is an advantage for outdoor

trips. I can get the 190 for a very fair set price with the 141RC head

(3030), it costs less than the 055 without head and camera plate. My

question: is the 190 solid enough for bottom close-up shooting

(flowers etc., camera in vertical position)? For the Rolleiflex I

think it is, but what about the heavy Mamiya C3 with paramender and

135mm or 180mm lens? Any experiences?

Well, I use my 3001 with a heavy ball head for normal use, and a 3d head for macro work. I've used it with the center column flipped and my Minolta x570 with a VERY heavy Rokkor 100 f3.5 macro lens and been very pleased.

Oh, come on, Don, the 100mm f/3.5 macro ain't that heavy. You should try that package with a flash and MD-1 motor drive added, then it starts getting a bit weighty.

I have no experience with the 3001, but the 3021 PRO is a great tripod, very durable, and the horizontal column option is really handy.

Best way to find out is to go to manfrotto.com or bhphoto.com and check out the specs to see what the weight rating on the legs and head are.

Yeah, but you KNOW I've been looking for a cheap MD1. :-) As for flash, if I'm using a tripod, as often as not I'll be hand-holding it with the OC cable. So doesn't add any weight.

But, that lens IS heavy. At least compared to the Maxxum versions of the 100 macro lens. :-)

Richard:

Just curious: do you have a prism for your 'Flex? It'll be mighty difficult to see the focusing screen upsidedown, unless you dig a deep hole!

A much better way to work is to buy a tripod that will lie out flat, and use a shortened centerpost (purchased or hack saw). In 6x6 square format, this is a great way to work using a waist finder (no sprawling out on the ground). With the taking lens on the bottom, you will also be able to get lower than hanging the camera upsidedown.

I use the 055 with 141RC head and have been very satisfied with it. Personally, I don't believe that lightweight tripods are a good idea if you care about sharpness, regardless how sore my arm gets with the 055.

The bottom line is that tripod choice is not critical here, beyond the fundamental requirement for stability and ease of use. But I recommend against using a TLR: you're likely to get too much upper thigh in shot, unless you employ a parallax corrector of some sort like the old Mamiya Paramender. My choice would be an SLR - in MF I use an RZ-2 with the 180 lens, which takes beautiful bottom pictures, and because the WYSISWYG screen image speeds up composition and makes you more confident, your models are less likely to get impatient. Besides, you can stop down to check DoF very precisely, and (depending on bottom dimensions) this can be critical. Good luck - or, Bottoms Up!

I use the 055Pro with horizontal center column. I have done bottom shooting with both a lightweight TLR and a heavier 6x6 SLR using this tripod. The horizontal column mounting comes in very handy! It lets you reach over the flowers and place the camera directly over the surface to be photographed. It makes the film parallel to the ground and this is important with shallow DOF, while there is much less likelihood to include tripod legs in the picture. I shot forest floor with closeup lenses attached and then the camera was placed quite low above the ground, so the horizontal column mounting proved very useful once again.

With the camera pointing down, the WL finder is accessible from the side. For low-angle shots it can be cumbersome, I can assure you, a prism finder (which I don't have) would be good. But with some patience and agility anything can be done. Carry a pad so you don't have to lie down on dirt or wet ground.