Shooting B&W with Minolta Dimage 7

db1

The B&W mode is an RGB file an so it gives no benefit as far as file size is concerned. However in the B&W color mode, tonal relationships are displayed on the monitor when you shoot so you can see if tonal areas separate in the image. In color, red and green will seem very different, but in black and white they can be the same.

If I understand it right, when you shoot BW mode the camera only records BW info, which

means you cannot get the color "back" so to speak. If you shoot color you can always go to

to BW in PS (and you have more control over it as well). There's something to be said about

shooting in BW though I think, since it may "force" you to think in BW.

//Magnus

Hi,

<P>

I have an A1, not a 7, but the cameras are largely similar. Shoot in RAW, then you can make the decision later. I use Dimage Viewer and convert the RAW to B+W - no messing around with the channel mixers. Using this method, you can get some nice shots using the higer ISO settings too - the noise makes it look very much like a higher speed B+W film's grain. Works well when you bump up the contrast (& sharpness) when converting the RAW file.

<P>

Here is a <A HREF="http://pch.fotopic.net/c171913.html"><B>link</B></A> to a few examples from the A1 using this method.

<P>

<P>

HTH<P>

Paul