90 or 75?

seb v.

I am thinking about getting a longer focal length lens to complement my 35

cron and 50 lux. The most obvious to me would be the 90 apo but I have

heard such great things about the 75 lux that I am very tempted to get this

instead. Is the 75 too close to the 50? I guess I will be using it as a telephoto

lens rather than a portrait one. What do you think?

(a) As said above, 35 and 75 are often recommended, especially if you only want a duo and you absolutely need f/1.4.

<br>(b) And, IMO too, 75 and 90 are just as "non-close" as 35 and 50. That's why I have a 35 <i>and</i> a 50 (and a 40 too).

<br>© The simple (maybe only) reason I do not like the 75 is that it is just too big and heavy. As Jay once said, you need a pipe wrench to focus the damn thing.

I had the 75 'lux. The image quality was/is among the best Leica has to offer. In the end, I sold it because it was too big and heavy and I didn't use it much, compared to the 50 'lux. As for being too difficult to move the focus ring, I put a zip-tie on it, so the focusing wasn't too hard; it has a long travel for a reason, for accuracy. I found, being a roadie, that it took the same room as two other lenses took (50 'lux and 75 CV), so it had to go.

The 75 M summilux is a gorgeous lens, however given the choice I'd rather use the R

80 lux. They are similar lenses after all.

I'm speaking generally here as you have not specified the camera. If you have access

to an M3 or .85 finder then the 90 is it, no question. With the .72 finders the 90

frame lines are IMO a wee bit small, which takes away from the pleasure of shooting

with a 90 FL somewhat.

C.

Thanks for the informed answers. I had no idea the 75 was such a beast to

handle, having never used one. I was thinking of snagging the 75 in JTs big

garage sale. Maybe I don't even need a longer focal length and just have a

dose of The Fondlers. Thanks anyway.

I have both the 75 Summilux and the 90 SAA lenses. I like them both, and would not want to eliminate either. Different tools for the job at hand. One has to be pretty wimpy to consider the 75 Summilux a "beast", nor do I find it difficult to focus. (But I have hauled very large lenses of different formats all over the world) My suggestion is to borrow or lease these lenses first for a test drive, and you make the determination which fit your needs best. All of the "experts" on photo.net can only relate their preferences, which might not be best for you at all.

Some 75s do have focus rings that are really hard to turn. This is not part of the design,

rather too heavy a grease that has gotten stiff by not being used. My 75's focus ring was

just fine, as the lens was fairly new, and it got easier to turn the more I used it. If you get

one and love the focal length, have DAG re-do the grease in the heilicoid.

What Lee said. You want a tele, so go for the millimeters. I don't doubt that the 75 is one of Leica's finest, but this is also said of the 90AA (and the 35 ASPH, and the 24mm Summicron, and the 50 Summicron, and the new 5o Lux . . .). Hell, they are all Leica's finest lens!

Just get the finest 90, that's all.

Okay, lemmee get back to brass tacks: the 1.4/75 I used was for a week at a Leica Seminar and "Leica Day" in Wetzlar/Solms. I must admit, the optical coverage or whatever you prefer to express was truly great. Especially for architectural close-ups like columns and statues in a church or cemetery. Now if Leica would only cough out a 2 or even 2.8/75! (We've been talking about this for years here.)

I was hoping Al Kaplan would have chimed in first, but since he didn't, I will be the one to suggest one of the cheaper alternatives since you are unsure of the focal length you prefer. Try the Nikkor p.c. 85/2.0. You will need an adapter to mount the lens. You can buy one on ebay or through one of the guys on photo.net for a reasonable price, about $275.00 - $325.00, not including the adapter. The only drawback is that the lens is fairly heavy, but it is not as heavy as the 75/1.4. I usually shoot the lens wide open or at 2.8. If I can dig up a recent photo I will post it.

My lens came without a lens shade. According to Al Kaplan, the lenses are almost flare resistant. If you want a shade, you can probably get a series 7 adapter and shade online somewhere.

Take a gamble. If you don't like the lens you can always resell it for close to if not more than what you paid for it.

Try this website for more information on the lens. http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html#852

<i>You want a tele, so go for the millimeters.</i><p>

You want a tele, so go for an SLR. For my tastes, anything beyond 75mm is not what a RF is suitable for. Far too approximate as far as lack of DOF control and parallax error are concerned. Just my 0.02...

I have both the 90 AA and the 75 lux. If I could just keep one it would be the 75. I

love this lens - it renders portraits like no other. I use the 90 for a more compressed

perspective look -its as sharp as a razor, but I prefer the 'look' of the 75 -it gives a

rounder look, and used at f1.4 or 2.0 it gives truly beautiful bokeh . I use a Lutz Steer

for focusing - makes a big difference, the 75 lux is an awesome lens.