10d/20d tripod socket: camera slips while doing portrait.

biju_s

I tried to mount the camera vertical(portrait) on tripod (Bogen

486RC2) but it slips with long lens. Camera doesnt have a secondary

safety catch (like sony f828) to hold itself properly on tripod. What

am I doing wrong? How to avoid slipping? Should i tighten the plate's

(3157N) second screw directly onto the camera?

Thanks

B

Does this long lens you're using have it's own tripod mount? If so I would always use that & just swing the whole assembly via that collar. Be careful tightening things too much. I've heard of people over-tightening and actually breaking the tripod mount on the 10D's accessory battery pack. Not sure I've heard the same thing regarding the mount on the camera itself, but I'm sure you can over-tighten it.

> Does this long lens you're using have it's own tripod mount?<br>

70-200mm f/4. tripod collar is optional (and costs too much).

I have not tried with any other lens. "safety catch" also can ensure that the lens/camera is aligned properly on the tripod head.<br>

No one else misses it?

Get the black tripod collor and for 200 f2.8. Other than colour it is mechanically identical but $25 cheaper.

Also a Architechural Style plate from Bogen.

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=97

The combo of the two should solve your slippage problem. I use this setup with 7e/70-200 f4l and 486RC2 head with no difficulty.

The Arca-Tech or RSS solution is the better albeit more expensive

I use the same tripod head and lens combo. If you get the tripod collar for the 70-200 f/4 L, the tripod head and mounting system you have already is more than strong enough. I think the black collar looks just as good, or even better than the white collar, and it's $30 cheaper.

I've found that you can tighten the Bogen plates quite firmly into the camera and avoid slipping issues. I've seen someone use an EOS 3 and 70-200mm f/4 L in portrait orientation (using the 486 RC2) without the tripod collar. I'd suggest tightening the plate a little more, and things should work fine. I wouldn't over do it though.

Even though your current setup should work once you tighten the plate, I'd suggest buying the tripod collar. It's much more stable and it makes it much easier to switch from portrait to landscape orientation (the lens and camera can spin freely in the collar when you loosen it). Once you have the lens collar, there's no worry about overtightening the plate, since you're screwing it directly into the metal base of the lens collar.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

In my opinion, if the RC2 plate can't hold on to the camera with a long lens, I would not want the weight of that lens totally supported by the camera's mount anyway (with the camera in either horizontal or vertical position). Would you hold the camera body alone when using such a lens? I'd doubt that.

For ANY lens that's too heavy to be holding just the body when shooting without auxiliary support, I would either make sure I had bought a lens with a tripod socket already on it or add a tripod socket collar to the lens in question. It's silly to put excess stress on the camera's mount and frame, particularly with today's plastic camera bodies.