17-40L zooming noise?

perry_bain1

I just got the Canon 17-40L, and I have a question for other owners of

this lens: Should the lens make any noise when zooming? Mine is making

a (relatively faint) scraping/squeaking noise throughout the zoom

range. It sounds (and feels) a bit like 2 unlubricated plastic bits

rubbing against each other. I just wanted to find out if this is

normal for the lens, or if I ought to exchange the lens for another

copy. I had expected something a little smoother in an "L" lens.

Mine doesn't make any noise. It would be interesting to find out if others have similar noise coming from theirs. Maybe it's worth going to your local Canon lens dealer and handling a few to see if they are the same. If no other one makes any noise you may have a problem with it as minor as it sounds.If yours is under warranty at least you can have it repaired/replaced if it is faulty. Is it new?

When I purchased the lens, I made a series of tests; I exchanged it for another one for it seemed to constantly front-focus at every focal length.<BR>

The second one (the one I now own) is silent, unlike the first one, but also the full-time-manual focus ring is a little tighter than the first one which was too smooth (it would turn at the slightest touch).<BR>

<BR>

You may have on your hands what some of us call a "Monday morning QA production item"; in other words, sounds like you got a bad copy.<BR>

My lens does not make any noise while zooming, and hardly audible when focusing. You may want to exchange it, if it's still under warranty or ask your camera dealer.

OK, I'm returning the lens in exchange for another copy. Maybe the friction would not have caused a real problem, but considering the way people rave about how smooth the zoom action is (or should be), I'm not going to take a chance. Thanks to all who commented for the advice.

If you're in a quiet place, you can hear the zoom mechanism of any Canon AF zoom. However, it should be pianissimo. As it ages, it will get looser and slightly softer. The zoom and focus mechanisms of my old Nikkor AI MF lenses are even softer.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter