Sneek Peek about Photokina news

bill_goldman

According to a Japanese photo magazine, Canon will introduce two

more DSLRs at Photokina; the 7D with 8 megapixels and 1.3 crop

factor and the long rumored 1Ds MkII. It looks like the 7D may be

just what many have asked for in calling for a 3D, based on the EOS-

Now if there were only word of some new lenses (not EF-S, please).

Lack of the EOS-3 has kept me out of the digital market. Now what will I tell my wife? I'm thinking of something about these old eyes needing the bright viewfinder of 1.3 crop and whatever not having a built in flash gains in brightness. Boys and toys will be the response.

A camera like a 7D, if it is introduces, is exactly what will keep me in my 10D for a couple of years and NOT investing in any new EF-s lenses for my Digital Rebel- I've already bought two DSLR's this year and thats enough. I plan at some point to have a 1.3 sensor camera. Even if it doesn't happen now, I think that's what Canon will eventually do. It makes perfect sense. Sell everyone a 20D with new, expensive EF-s lenses, then make 1.3 crop cameras more affordable. Anyone using a 20D will either have to hold on to the EF lenses they have now or re-buy them later if they decide they want a 1.3 crop body because EFs lenses don't cover the field of view. It's almost like the Pied Piper leading the masses to the river, and Canon definitely has everyone jumping in.

Decided to forego food at lunch today and go and look for this mystery magazine... Hey, cameras are more important than food, right? ;)<br>

<br>

Anyway... Sorry to report, but this information is rather old and is from the same article that was talking about the 20D as the 7D before the 20 was announced.<br>

<br>

It also discusses the 1DsM2 and the other cameras (including the Nikon D200) mentioned in the original post.<br>

<br>

I am very much hoping for a "3D" or whatever Canon will call it, but this article is <b>not</b> confirmation of such a camera.<br>

<br>

Ian<br>

--<br>

Ian Hobday<br>

Osaka, Japan<br>

<a href="http://hobday.net/photos" target="_blank">http://hobday.net/photos</a> (Opens in a new window.)

<i>Why would Canon introduce yet another semi pro body when there is nothing in the competitions lineup to force them to?</i><br>

<br>

Because there is space in the market between the 20D and the 1DM2.<br>

<br>

There are a lot of D60 and 10D owners who feel that the 20D is not a big enough upgrade but that the 1DM2 is too expensive. Quite a few of these would try to stretch budgets to get a "3D" though.<br>

<br>

Digital is also a huge shift in photography. Big enough that some people are selling their film bodies & lenses and buying all new again. For people such as this, the "3D" could be quite a draw -- no one else has such a camera, so there is no where except Canon to go to.<br>

<br>

Yes, Canon would probably lose some 1DM2 sales if they bring out a "3D". But they would also gain quite a few "up-sells" from the 20D as well...<br>

<br>

Just my thoughts... Personally I have a D60 and would buy a "3D" with a 1.3x 8mp sensor + spot metering.<br>

<br>

Ian<br>

--<br>

Ian Hobday<br>

Osaka, Japan<br>

<a href="http://hobday.net/photos" target="_blank">http://hobday.net/photos</a> (Opens in a new window.)

<i>D30 and D60 had 3 AF sensors. 10D and 300D has 7. 20D has 9. 7D will have 45? Canon's new naming convention confuses me.</i><br>

<br>

The "7D" is the 20D... The original post was based on an old magazine article that had the wrong name for the 20D.<br>

<br>

If Canon does bring out a "3D" I wonder what they would call it? 3D sounds weird. 33D sounds like a woman's undergarmet size. 300 is already used for the European market. Maybe they'll put it into the EOS 1 group? Or maybe a 5D? Or maybe they'll just do "EOS 3 Digital"? With the "Kiss Digital" and "Digital Rebel" I think that "EOS 3 Digital" is quite possible. Anyone else have thoughts?<br>

<br>

Ian<br>

--<br>

Ian Hobday<br>

Osaka, Japan<br>

"D30 and D60 had 3 AF sensors. 10D and 300D has 7. 20D has 9. 7D will have 45? Canon's new naming convention confuses me. "

The number of AF sensors has nothing to do with the name of the camera. If we look at the naming of Canon film cameras in Europe we have 3000 < 300 < 30 < 3 < 1.

3 and 4 digits for the low end, 2 digits for the "serious amateur" market, single number >1 for semi-pro models (i.e. EOS 3 or 5) and 1 for the top of the range model.

This also demonstrates that there is a gap in the equivalent digital cameras as there is no single digit non-1 model. If that gap should actually be filled is another issue.

I don't want to speculate on what Canon may or may not announce at PhotoKina. I'm not that anxious - I can wait.

I do have one point on the "EOS-3 goes digital" issue:

Unless you specifically want an ECF camera, why will Canon necessarily make a new camera based on an old camera or old format?

It isn't very 'forward-thinking thinking', if you will.

Correct me if I am wrong, but digital cameras do not even need to retain the traditional look of 35mm SLRs. The new Olympus E-1 camera is a good example. It doesn't really bear any resemblance to a traditional SLR film body. It certainly looks nothing like their veteran line up of (box-shaped) OM-SLRs.

Will we begin to see more and more digital cameras, irrespective of manufacturer, that move away from the usual camera shape?

With all due respect to the Olympus E1 owners and supporters with their incessant postings (sounds a lot like Mac owners, still trying to justify the price premiums they paid over/above WinPCs), the reasons why a 35mm film SLR is shaped the way it is has much more to do with ergonomics and the utility of attaching a lens, providing a viewfinder and controls, etc., than it does with some arcane idea about how to wrap a hunk of metal and plastic around a roll of film. Just looking at the evolution of film SLR bodies over the last 20-30 years makes this point quite convincingly.

As long as the economies of scale exist that make common lenses between film and digital SLRs attractive, we'll continue to follow the physical model of the current SLR shape, however that may happen to evolve.

We've seen TONS of (non-SLR) digital cameras "move away from the usual camera shape," thank you very much. Some of them are even embedded in cell phones!

If your primary driver in choosing a digital camera is innovation in "industrial design," by all means, go forth and be well. Or maybe, just slap some racing stripes or a new paint job on your current body, and be done with it.

<i>Unless you specifically want an ECF camera, why will Canon necessarily make a new camera based on an old camera or old format?</i><br>

<br>

Actually ECF is not at all important for me. I found it annoying and gimiky in my EOS 3, although I know many loved it.<br>

<br>

I think the reason people have named the camera the "3D" is because what a lot of people want in digital is what Canon did with the EOS 3 in film -- a camera between the basic EOS 7 and the high-end 1 series.<br>

<br>

What I would like to see in an "EOS 3 Digital" is faster focusing, AF to F8, better metering <b>with</b> a spot meter, EOS 3 sized body, 1.3x 8mp sensor... Basically a camera to sit between the 20D and the 1DM2. I'd pay $3000 for it.<br>

<br>

Looking forward to Photokina! If the "EOS 3 Digital" doesn't appear I think I will hold onto my D60 until the 1DM3 comes out. :)<br>

<br>

Ian<br>

--<br>

Ian Hobday<br>

Osaka, Japan<br>

7D, 3D, it ain't gonna happen. Despite the large price difference between the 20D, and the 1DmkII, they are very close feature wise. Canon bringing out a 7D, 3D, or whatever the heck you want to call it with 45 pt. AF, and spot metering will just canabolize(sp?) 1DmkII sales. It ain't gonna happen people. I would bet the farm on this one. Never, ever gonna happen.

Don't belive the hysteria over at dpreview. I swear if somebody posted the world was flat according to Canon reps, 95% of those knuckleheads would believe it!

"Despite the large price difference between the 20D, and the 1DmkII, they are very close feature wise."<p>

Really? Because when I look at their features side-by-side, I note many huge differences, in the most often looked at areas (sensor, autofocus, ISO, whitebalance, continous drive buffer, focal length multiplier). Call me crazy, but Id say they are two very <b>different</b> cameras!