Trying to repair a Hasselblad Back - Good idea?

j_m32

I bought my Hasselblad equipment as a kit from the previous owner and it came

with four 12 exposure backs. Two A12 backs and two older backs (made in the

50s and 60s). Now the two newer ones work perfectly but the older ones seem

kinda stuck. When I attach them to the body the shutter just won't fire.

Is it a good idea to attempt to repair this myself? I don't want to (and will

not) have them serviced by a repair guy because the cost would be just as high

as a new (used) back. I also wouldn't be worried about breaking anything since

it's already broken.

My questions are these: Is it even possible to fix this with a basic set of

tools (small screwdrivers etc.) or would it be a waste of time? Also, where

does one get a repair manual for these backs?

Thanks

Jean-Marc

I only have the newer backs so cannot be sure, but I think the older backs work differently. Are you sure they are broken? They may need a film in and wound on before you can release the shutter. The interlocks are designed to stop you making mistakes like taking pictures with no film in.

Try to find a copy of The Hasselblad Manual by Wildi. Look for edition 4 or 5 the latest ones do not have as much info on the older cameras and backs. This should tell you exactly how that backs should work. I would be surprised if both backs were faulty in exactly the same way.

If they are broken then it probably wouldn,t cost as much as you think to fix them. And as a previous post said there are a lot a gears etc inside them. If you have to ask about repairing it you probably shouldn't try it.

Simon

Benny,

I'm a student so my time is not worth much ;-). My repair guy does backs for around 150$. For that price I can probably get a working A12 back on ebay. I live in Switzerland so unfortunatley I cannot send it to David Odess.

Even if the repair was cheaper I still wouldn't want to "waste" money on those really old backs.

I'll probably just have to leave them as they are and use them as paper weights :-)

Jean-Marc!

You did say that you "will not" have these mags repaired right? And so:

Did you re-set the C-mags to zero ? Turn the fold out film advance a part turn anti-clockwise. All H/blad mags are blocked for camera release after the last frame, but the C-mags do not re-set like the A12's automatically when the film insert is removed - OK you know this, then check the blocking arm (rectangular hole lower left corner ser. no. plate). This little arm blocks body release whilst the dark-slide is fully inserted. If the arm doesn't retract when you pull out the slide, then there is the problem, however, two mags together??

The blocking arm is easy to get at.Just note that on C-mags the screw closest to the blocking arm is longer than the other eight that hold the ser. no. plate.

If it is neither of the above problems, then don't waste your time, really!!

Best of luck

David,

Thank you very much! All it took was that half turn anti-clockwise.

I feel kinda embarassed but I have to admit that I didn't know that about the c mags. I, too, was wondering why both c12 mags were having the same "problem". Now all I have to do is run a roll of film through both to check if everything else functions properly.

If they do I might try to sell them and buy at least one A12 back (maybe even a A16 back). The two c12 backs I have are both chrome and therefore don't match the black 501CM I have.

Thank you again David and everyone else that has taken the time to offer me their advice. I appreciate it a lot!