Travelling - how much?

pod

I am going overseas, with India as my first destination on the trip.

So, I am just wondering what everyone thinks of my accessories list?

Have I missed anything, and what does everyone think of my battery and

CF-Card levels.

1 x light Tripod

2 x spare batteries

2 x 1gb CF-Cards

1 x Appropriate UV filter for all lenses going

1 x CF-Card reader (For ease and not pulling out camera everywhere)

1 x Lens cleaning kit

(Please, anyone who has travelled in India on the cheap - what are CD

burning and Internet backup facilities like? and how about electricty

points for recharging flat batteries?)

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Hi there.. I am from BOMBAY in INDIA. You can access internet from any internet center in INDIA and I guess all major hotels have hot spots. For CD burning why dont you carry a laptop? Anyway you can easily burn CD's at the internet centers here....only thing is you will be hard pressed to find one in a rural area....well in case you are in Bombay why don't you catch up with me...mail me or call me on 9324374495....

India has a lot of educated IT folks with a lot of technology. We just installed an E1 going there and it was like working with MCI here in the US. Shouldnt be any concerns.

As far as your battery and CF levels. I carry twice that many batteries for location shoots here in town. Go pick up another pair from mydigitaldiscount.com just in case you need them and their cheap and work with canon chargers.

If you chimped while you took your images, I think 2 cards will work for ya. That is over 300 images and if you delete the bad ones that is a lot for a few days.

Look at getting a monopod instead of a tripod unless you wanted timed shots, they are easiser to carry and use.

ditch the lens cleaning clothe, buy a 100 pack of pec pads and a bottle or eclipse or ror and you will be able to do a lot more without scratching anything.

Hi Peter,

You might need a backup just in case your primary camera decides not to work for some strange reason (as it does and can happen). Just a thought. A similar make body would be good as it takes all your lenses, CF, etc. Perhaps you could borrow a cheapo film slr of a same make and hhalf a dozen films ?

Some of these are difficult to answer without some more information. The number of batteries and number of cards is relative to how much you shoot. I carry enough batteries for two days of shooting and charge as often as possible (by the way, you didn't mention a charger.) You should carry enough compact flash to use in between downloading.

I found a laptop far more useful than a portable drive when I was traveling last month. You can work on images, burn CD backups, and, when possible, connect to the internet if you have a laptop. Much better than just a drive.

Don't forget cables for the charger and, if you take it, the laptop.

I'd also recommend a tri-band cellphone.

Almost all electronic devices can handle 50-60 hz and 100 - 240 volts. You just need the proper plug, or a plug adapter, not a converter or transformer. I have five cords for the Canon battery charger, got them from Canon, because that's all it takes. For the computer, I used a plug adapter, the chargers work anywhere. It's not a big deal.

Polarizing filters...I never leave home without them, except one of

mine made the ultimate sacrifice on an active volcano last week...

so this weekend I left home without it :) I hope the Quetzal I got this

morning didn't mind.

jeffl

If you are going to visit mountains or deserted places, get your tripod; else just leave it at home. The flood of people makes it almost impossible to set up a tripod in urban areas. India is the place of diversity and you will see a very different faces of people. If you are in portrait photography..it is the place to take photos. So make sure to bring a good fast lens for portrait photog. You have to bring a decent wideangle lens too, teles are not of much use though. CD-brning facilities are still not very common..so think ahead to store your photos.