Brussels! Any advice?

joe tarrant

Prepare for cloudy weather, which should be good for capturing architectural details. Brussels has some of the best paintings and tapestry in the world in the main art museum. Some good public squares and probably some nice outdoor flower markets this time of year.

If you want an off the wall treat, try the Wietz Museum to view this oddball Romanticist's paintings and sculpture. Don't miss the relatively small painting of an Irish woman boiling her child's amputated leg in a big black pot during the Potato Famine in Ireland. <P>

The Museum of Central African Art is a daytrip a few kilometers outside the city but it is as good as it gets for this genre. If I recall correctly, it is in the same general direction as Waterloo.

<p>

Make multiple visits to the central square to capture the elegant guildhouses in different light. The Atomium is kind of neat also and was refurbished a couple of years ago. Have fun.

Ghent is closer to Brussels than Brugges, and is also very charming. Train service there is fantastic, very easy to hop to Brugges and/or Ghent and back.

Brussels is a large city, with a lot of grey architecture, both old and modern. Full of bureaucracy. But it didn't strike me as that beautiful of a walking-around city. Yes, it was raining when I was there, so that may bias my opinion.

The Musée des Beaux-Arts is a fine art museum, and they have at least 3 Bruegel paintings, which is a lot in one place.

Well, except for what the other posters say: there is a lot of art deco buildings; the Grand Place is the prettiest in the world (OK, I admit, I'm Belgian). Around the Grand Place is a nice gallery, you can't miss it. Bruges is 1 hour by train from Brussels and it is worth while; it was called the Venice of the North (of Europe) then comes Ghent and Antwerp.

If you want specific info, let me know.