However, this answer, I am quite certain, does not extend to ancient

cameras, or Summicron and Zeiss lenses.

I vaguely recall a thread devoted to home-made protection for the

above in tropical conditions. I think it involved mounting a 25-watt

light fixture within a styrofoam picnic box, installing the toys, and

leaving the issue "on" for the duration. Is this correct? Are there

other details that I need to attend to?

With thanks,

Besides beer I also hear there is a thing called air conditioning that will benefit stored photo gear equally well. I would think that, unless you are moving to the jungle, such would be available. <p>

As to a 25w light bulb in a picnic cooler, I would be concerned about the heat even though it would tend to drive out the moisture. The heat generated by the bulb in addition to the ambient would be bad news for film especially and not a good thing for your gear.

How long are you planning to be there?

If it's a long term stay, you might consider getting yourself a dehumidifying camera case. They come in various sizes and price ranges... but to give you an idea, I got a low-end, plastic, put it together yourself job from Kenko here in Japan for about $150 on sale. It's about 4-feet high, a little over a foot-and-a-half wide, and a bit over a foot deep... and it holds quite a few cameras and lenses.

If you don't want to go that route, you could probably pick up some inexpensive plastic tubs with good seals on them (a rubber gasket is ideal... but even things like empty cat litter or detergent cans seal up nice and tight), place your camera equipment in them (carefully) along with some silica gel packs and close the lid. For peace of mind, you can put a hydrometer in there to monitor humidity levels).

I have a few odds and ends in plastic containers with silica gel and a hydrometer. It seems to work well... Here in Japan, summer humidity levels can go over 85% but the box stays nice and dry at about 45% inside. Just keep it in a shaded place and I think you should be okay.

Of course, once you open the box, you might have to replace the silica gel. So that won't really work if you have to get at your cameras often... It's better for long term storage.

-Kevin

• 2 years later...
Hi, I live in Taiwan and the humidity here is extremely high. If this is the place you are moving to, you will definitely need an electronic dehumidifying vat. I believe most of the other photographers are doing the same for their cameras and gears. I got one for about US$100 ( 35mmx40mmx50mm) from B&Q which could hold my 3 cameras and 4 lenses plus CD¡¦s and still has plenty of room for other stuff.