Photovillage?

I don't know how these Leica dealers who specialize in both new and used equipment can stay in business. Small margins for sure. The current digital-film dynamic certainly challenges their viability more so than ever.

Never dealt with Photovillage. Most of the comments seems very favorable from all of the press I've read over the years. As far as Kuehl is concerned. I've dealt with him. He's crotchety, difficult, and rude, but he's honest. Same with Chatterton. Tamarkin seems very polite and professional, but I don't care for his staff. They're jerks, except for Jim Lager when he was there. Sam Shoshan seems OK.

It was explained to me by one of these gentlemen that whenever a used item is returned after a sale for whatever reason, they lose money. There's really very little margin when much of there inventory is gained the hard way by going to estate sales and/or traveling to buy out some collection (the time, the money, the aggravation), and then having to guarantee the equipment for some reasonable period of time. It's a tough buck to make and it's a different business model than buying new equipment for both the seller and buyer. On top of this, generally these vendors have to offer lower prices than the "new" only vendors like the large shops such as B&H, Adorama, etc. to remain attractive.

I have dealt with Photo Village on several occasions. Each time has been a flawless deal

with professional help, good information and reasonable (but not cheap) prices.

Goods were always better than described, thier Ex-demo was my like-New.

I was looking for more gear tonight on this site which he told me about and surprised to

see anyone has a problem with Rich as I have talked to him a lot and he is quite easy to

talk with as is the girl "Liz" I think. Much better than I found at several other recommended

dealers.

In one case, I had made a mistake on the Leica body I ordered and asked Rich at Photo

Village if he would allow me to exchange it without too much of a fee. He talked me

through the process of exchanging the camera (ex-demo M7) for what I really wanted (MP)

without charging me anything!

He told me then that his policy of charging a rstocking fee began when many people were

buying new cameras, using them for a week or two weeks, and then returning them rather

than paying to rent them! So, in my case, he waived any fee without any hesitation and

really hardly asked me a question.

In addition, when I got the replacement box ...before I sent the camera I was returning... it

contained not only the camera but several free items that he had not mentioned and

literature about EVERYTHING we talked about.

All I can say is good-bye BH Photo, hello Photo Village Photo.

S.Hoff

I've bought several items from Photo Village and never had a problem. Service is courteous and fast, no problem with shipping. He's always sent things to me via UPS without a hitch. Jim Kuehl is a prince and the only dealer I know who'll ship on open account without prepayment, something I honestly would never advise my clients to do.
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

I've only bought one lens from Photovillage (VC 28mm 3.5). Rich told me about an opening that night at the Leica Gallery [David Alan Harvey]. I was in NYC on other business but went to the opening and had a good time and subsequently brought my wife to a DAH lecture at National Geographic in Washington, D.C. My wife consults on international health issues concerning South America and was completely impressed by DAH's low key approach and said, and I quote, "You should take a workshop with that guy, he'd be a great mentor." So, I have to give Rich credit for tumbling the first domino, a great lens, and a free pass to sign up for a DAH workshop.

I dropped off my Rollei 3.5f "whiteface" on consignment with Rich a couple of weeks ago. He, Liz and Dane seem first rate. Rich states his policy about returned merchandise shipping quite explicitly. Should be no surprises there.

<p>Here is a full review of my experience with Rich Pinto of Photovillage: (<a href="http://www.drcimages.com/reviews/photovillage_review.html">link</a>)

</p>

<p>I should note I do not have a history of having <b>any</b> problems with anyone

but Mr. Pinto. Look at my photo.net history; I have been a long-time member,

and have tried to be thoughtful and courteous in my dealings with others. I

have

sold an Xpan and Eos A2e and lens via photo.net, and bought a flash bracket

from a Leica forum member.</p>

<p>He may

say he has many successful transactions, but I would point out that you should

draw

your

own

conclusions

based on his

own

words

in emails

to me.</p>

Let me explain why I chose Photovillage after reading all I read here. First of all, I asked a friend who is a Leica collector in San Diego what he know of you all, and he had nothing but good words. That strikes a chord with me as I've known him for over 10 years. Second of all, I spoke at length with Dane and he seemed extremely knowledgable and curteous.

I recognize the issues that were presented in this forum and I took note of them when making my decision. After reviewing them and weighing them with a grain of salt, I liked the idea of going with a retailer who generally has a pretty good reputation. No retailer is perfect, even my favorite retailers out there. Truth of the matter is about 1-5% of any company's customers will be unsatisfied for some reason, whether warranted or not. I am not leveling any accusations at anyone who made a critique of Rich or Photovillage, and I do believe that you may very well be in the right, however I find myself in a similar situation with any dealer out there.

I look forward to receiving my items from Photovillage, and hope that it is the beginning of a long lasting relationship. If things go well, I will follow this up with a further report, just as I would if things did not go well.

Thanks to all,

Jonathon Schuster

• 4 years later...

<p>I have had a negative experience with PhotoVillage, after many smooth transactions, in the past. It was because of these smooth transactions, that I left a sizable deposit for some items, a few months back. When they arrived at PhotoVillage a few weeks back, Rich Pinto, never sent me an invoice, for the balance due. When he finally did a few weeks back, he changed the terms of the invoice, in his favor, increasing the price, changing the quantities, and the way in which I could pay, to only a bank wire. He refuse to return my deposit, or accept payment via credit card. I am afraid if paid, I will never see my merchadise or my money. I now have to take PhotoVillage to court, in order to get my refundable deposit back.</p>

<p>This has been a nightmare of an experience, and if I can save anyone the problems I have suffered, this thread will have done its job. I wish I had read something like this before sending $2500, that I might never see again.<br>

He refuses to send it back and he refuses to accept a credit card. I have paid rich via credit card, many times in the past, and now he refuses to take it, and refuses to return my deposit. He cant have it both ways.<br>

So my word of adivce is BUYER BEWARE, and I hope noone has to go through what I am right now.</p>

<p>Brian</p>